Are the 60hp Mercury o/b known to shake?

jeep187

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an 2003 60hp Mercury 3 cylinder 2 stroke (Bigfoot). I was wondering if they all shake a little at idle to low speeds.

Other than that the mot runs great.

Thanks in advance

mthieme

Captain
Re: Are the 60hp Mercury o/b known to shake?

This is not unusual especially on older ones. It's probably nothing to over. But...
Check your lower mounts by shaking the motor fore and aft. There should be no movement between the motor and the swivel mount. Look at where it pivots when you do this.
There are also several top mounts which can be inspected visually. They are rubber about 1 inch in diameter and almost as tall. You will typically here a rattle if one or more of these are broken. I don't know exactly how many are on yours, mine have four (older 25-35-40-50hp), two in the back, two up front on top of the brackets. My 50 has them mounted in odd, less conspicuous places.
Also, could be that the idle circuit in your carbs need a cleaning.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Three cylinder 40/50/60 Mercs are fairly smooth motors although any carbed two stroke has a transition point where the engine goes off the idle circuits to the higher speed circuits in the carb. It is not unusual for an engine to "burbble" or shake a bit at that transition point. If the idle mixture is incorrect that transition can be noticeable.

jeep187

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Its mainly a side to side shake. Like the steering cable should hold it more steady. If i hold the motor it stops.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Watch the joint (the big nut) where the steering cable attaches to the tilt tube on the engine while you rock the engine back and forth. If the cable sheath is moving inside the nut, the nut needs to be tightened. If that sheath doesn't move, then check the link rod and its attaching hardware.

shanew

Cadet

Mine does the same thing if I am using it to troll. I have always thought that it was a three cylinder thing. It has never been a problem, but like previous post, keep checking motor mounts.:D