new to this form

sactofish

Recruit
Hello, just wanted to say hi. I like this site it has helped me wire a boat I just got last week. I been around boats for over 50 years and owned my 1st boat at age 16 (14' valco 20hp mec.). I had 7 boats total & now have 3 (selling 1) a 1990 18 Larson center console deep vee with a SUZUKI 2002 DF 140 four stroke.

I just picked a killer deal on a duck boat. 1981 Basstracker completely refinished with all new marine plywood, indoor outdoor carpet, como seats, push pole system, dog doc boarding platform, warn off road (2 beam) lights, quick-set waterfowl blind, 65 trust 24 volt minn kota bow mount motor and the motor is a Chrysler 45 hp. model 459 HOJ. Also came with over 300 duck & goose decoys, some never been wet yet, robo ducks, wind ducks and a mallard machine. All for a low price of $1500. I already sold 1/2 the decoys and the Mallard machine for $600 and selling a 14' flatbottom on a trailer for $600 tomorrow. I did have to buy $200 in fuel hose, bulb pump, tank fitting, battery feed to motor, fuse panel and wire. Most this stuff was new and when he had the boat painted camo took the motor wire harness out.

So back to my questions. (1) Is the Chrysler 45 hp. model 459 HOJ seria 1083 a 1980 or a 1981 like the boat? (2) how much gear oil does the lower gear take and is it 90 weight?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: new to this form

The motor is from 1980 and takes about a half quart of marine lower unit oil. I dont recommend using a 90 weight oil. You should get some marine lower unit oil. Mercury high performance is the best for older motors. Seems to be thicker and not leak as easy. Marine lower unit oil will hold up better if water gets into the lower unit and still offer some protection plus I believe it is more environmentally friendly then 90 weight oil.