9.9 Johnson runs out of fuel

lockjaw

Cadet
The motor runs fine if I keep squeezing the primer. Have taken apart fuel pump and it looks ok. Any solutions?
Problem solved..it was the connector form hose to tank..it seemed not to leak air and looked in good condition..I decided to replace it anyweay. Motor worked fine. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited:

lyncraft_mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 9.9 Johnson runs out of fuel

sounds like a bad fuel pump, have you checked all of the fuel lines to make sure there is no cracks in them? is the tank vent open and free from obstructions. try removing the fuel line fom the carb and crank the engine over to see if the fuel pump is pumping! if it is not pumping you can get fuel pump rebuild kit here http://www.shop.evinrude.com

lockjaw

Cadet

Thanks..will try cranking the motor with fuel line disconnected from carb..never thought of that! Have cleaned the carb and checked all lines and vent.

lyncraft_mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class

have you checked your compression? low compression can affect your fuel pump due to the fact that the pump is run off from the crankcase pressure!!

lockjaw

Cadet

fuel pump pumps gas quite nicely...so, is there a problem in carb? Tank? As long as I keep the primer tight, motor runs forever. I took the fitting out of the tank. There are no breaks in that hose...all hoses look fine...I'm stumped!

lockjaw

Cadet

"another thing is you float in the carb may be stuck, not allowing gas to enter with out the extra pressure of your pumping"..is this a possibility?

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was having a similar problem, for me the issue was with the hose and the hose tank connection. The hose and bulb set up I purchased has the crimp on hose clamps, over time they became loose and were letting in air. I also had to watch the connection to the tank, the female fitting would wiggle and let in air.

huckelberry

Seaman

I was having a similar problem, for me the issue was with the hose and the hose tank connection. The hose and bulb set up I purchased has the crimp on hose clamps, over time they became loose and were letting in air. I also had to watch the connection to the tank, the female fitting would wiggle and let in air.

I had to teflon tape my tank fitting to keep air from leaking in. So far, mine is doing ok. I also broke down and bought a new BRP hose assy.

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer

MY buddy had the same problem with his 9.9 Johnson sailboat motor. Turns out the little O Ring in the the fuel hose to motor connector was damaged. Changed the fitting and problem went away. On his we found if he pumped the ball hard with the motor off and me looking around we saw fuel fuel seeping out at the conection. It was letting air in .

We looked in the end of the connector with a very bright flashlight and then we could actually see the scuffed up O ring.

My two cents

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If you pump the ball up with the motor not running you should find the leak.
Also could be a bad primer ball...Those Cheapo ones like from Walmart are junk.

lockjaw

Cadet

will check compression tomorrow..let you know...maybe head gasket if compression is low

lockjaw

Cadet

checked compressoin..120 lbs on top and bottom..so that's not the problem...anyone have any other suggestions?

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would suggest getting a new hose, it sounds like an air leak in the hose or connector.

lockjaw

Cadet

I think I am going to order a new fuel pump..motor runs fine if I gravity fed it...

lockjaw

Cadet

Before I order the new fuel pump, perhaps someone can tell me how much fuel I should see from the outflow of the pump when I disconnect the hose from the carb. At idle there is a very short squirt about 1/2 inch long which keeps squirting until engine uses all the gas in carb..if that is enough at idle then the problem is not fuel pump..