Feedback on Teleflex NFB Rack steering system

StuartT

Seaman Apprentice
I have about 20 hours on my new Teleflex NFB (no feedback) rack steering system which I installed, with a new steering cable, on a 16' 1978 Starcraft with a 90 hp Merc. My impression? I would not do it again.

The steering feels like it is sticking (which it is designed to do to cancel motor torque) and you have to over muscle the steering a bit each time you change course to overcome the designed in drag. It acts more like it has a rusty steering cable then a sophisticated steering solution, and no matter what Teleflex says about getting used to it, I haven't.

I emailed Teleflex to see if the drag level was adjustable. It was not. I then asked if they would swap out the NFB steering unit for a cheaper standard rack steering unit without giving me credit for the difference. They stopped answering my emails.

Thanks a lot Teleflex. What a customer oriented company.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Feedback on Teleflex NFB Rack steering system

I had a similar impression of the NFB system that came on a new boat I bought. Could not get used to the sticky feeling and would have been happier with the standard cable system with some feedback and a smoother feel. It was one of the reasons I sold the boat after only a year.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Wow good to know.

I'm glad you posted I'm going to be changing my steering to a dual cable sometime next year and I sure don't want it to be like that.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Mine is about due for new steering cables and was going to go with the NFB dual cable...
Glad to know this info!
Now i will just replace the stock cables..

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

I have a totally different impression of my system. Teleflex NFB Rack.
I love it, smooth as silk al lttle bit different but still very nice. I only have a couple hours on it, but so far so good. I did the install and all seems well. MIne is not stiff or difficult to overcome the clutch, just a little bit if movement and of it goes.
Very sorry you are having issues, are you sure the cable is not binding up anywhere. Let me know if I can offer any help.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

I installed a Teleflex NFB system on my boat in 2000 and it has worked as advertised. In fact, I really like it. I haven't noticied any sticking, and it does not transmit any torque back to the wheel. It's getting a little worn, however, and has even starting to show a little slippage under certain conditions. I will probably replace it with another NFB system. Based on what you guys have said, however, I will probably go looking for a couple of reviews out there in cyber land before I actually spring for one. I wonder if they have made a design change, or possibly they are having some manufacturing issues?

StuartT

Seaman Apprentice

Just to fill in for those not familiar with the Teleflex NFB system, it is designed with a clutch in the steering hub that creates initial resistance to steering wheel movement. The purpose is to offset steering drift caused by torque from the motor. If you can't feel the resistance or "sticking" when you start to turn the wheel, the clutch is not working properly. Note that it only affects the initial movement of the wheel. The wheel frees up as you continue to turn. Of course as soon as you stop, the clutch reengages and you will have the sticking feel as you correct for your course change.

I do not like this sticky feel because it happens each and every time you move the wheel. I find it even more annoying when docking, fishing with the kicker coupled to the main, maneuvering, and fighting seas. I do like its course holding ability by not letting the steering wander when hands off, but then I shouldn't be hands off anyway.

Because there are small boats and large boats and small outboards and large outboards and different outdrives and various installation issues and every case will probably be slightly different, this clutch resistance is not going to bother everybody. But nor is it going to please everybody either. I strongly suggest anyone considering this system try to find a boat with NFB installed to see how you react. You don't need to do any more than just sit in the boat and turn the wheel. A dealer might very well have one in a stock unit for you to try. Being informed will at lease help you make a good decision if you are looking at replacing your steering in the future.

And hey, Teleflex, an adjustable clutch would have solved 95% of the potential complaints you might get on this system. As said, every application is different.

That's my opinion and I'm "sticking" to it! :)

Hitech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the review. I will probably replace my steering unit in the next year or two. I was considering the NFB units, but hesitate as I don't need one. I really just want to get rid of as much play in the steering as possible.

Thanks again.