how to improve a two stroke

a1machinista1

Seaman
Im working on a 1991 force 90hp the hours are low on this boat and since I am tearing down the engine to replace some seals and bearings, I might as well see if i can improve this two stroke.. But I am two stroke inexperianced...
what are some PROVEN methods of increasing torque in a two stroke??? Im going to balance the engines rotating assembly, so I can get maybe a bit more spin out of it.. What about a match port??? different spark plug?? plug indexing??? raise compression??? I have no experiance with improving a two stroke... any PROVEN ideas???

a1machinista1

Seaman
Re: how to improve a two stroke

Sorry i just noticed wrong forum!!! dont make me walk the plank:p

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Sorry i just noticed wrong forum!!! dont make me walk the plank:p

No you won't have to walk the plank ...

... but when you are through swabbing the deck, and scrapping the barnacles, you will be peeling potatoes in the Galley for two weeks. After that, and only after the Galley duty, the ships vacuum system Head seems to be causing problems again. :rolleyes:

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Hi why are you taking it a part if it it has low hours? one way to improve performance is to add Boyesen reeds it will make a big deferent good luck

a1machinista1

Seaman

It was already tore down in 96 after sitting in water for about 6 weeks, The P.O. tore it down to have it cleaned up!! Its been in storage for 12 years and since it came with almost all the new gackets I wanted to go through it, i wanted to hone the cylinders and install new rings if I can get them. ( im sure they have lost tension) I wanted to rebalance the rotating assembly! and install new seals and bearings, (since they came with it) I figured I could improve air flow somehow to get a little more umph out of it..

RRitt

Captain

getting reed valves that flap easier and seal better is the single biggest thing you can do without changing basic geometry. However, Force outboards do something called cold-sneezing which can crack high performance (composite) reeds. Cracked reed valves can cause your powerhead to burn out. This was one of the problems with Mercury-Force that makes them so much less reliable than USMarine or Chrysler. If you want maximum fuel efficiency and power then use boyensen. If you want maximum durability then use the metal ones from chrysler. Last I checked a set of boyensen reeds ran about $40 per cylinder.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

OK! What you have is a VERY old designed block. If it were a Merc or an OMC with loop scavenging or if it even had a boost port, port work would be a lot more "iffy" and difficult. But your engine block is dirt simple, crossflow design, and will respond very well to porting.

The factory drills four ports on the bypass and four on the exhaust side. On the 90, the exhaust ports are elongated by milling but since it is a mass produced engine, there is still more you can do. I'm not sure on the '91 90 HP if they drilled the center inter-port web to join the two center ports and increase area.

First thing to do is to square and trumpet shape the bypass ports, streamlining the inter-port webs to an airfoil shape with about a 1/16 flat inside the cylinder for the rings to ride on. Bevel the bottom of the ports as far as possible to help direct the gas flow up into the combustion chamber inthe head. Even though the piston does not clear the bottom of the port and blinds about 1/3 of the port area, porting and beveling drastically increases the area that the engine "sees" and airflow is substantially increased.

Now: If your engine was a 4 cylinder engine, I would recommend leaving the exhaust side alone. The reason is this: since the port timing is about 120 degrees of crank and since the crankpins are 90 degrees apart, AND since all cylinders dump into a common exhaust chamber, there is about a 30 degree overlap. Porting the exhaust on a 4 cylinder Force will actually INCREASE exhaust blow-back into the cylinder and reduce performance to less than stock UNLESS the engine is set up for race purposes with zero backpressure.

That said, the three cylinder 90 is about 120 degrees port timing and 120 degrees crank angle so there is no overlap and very little exhaust blow-back.

Again, square the ports and trumpet shape the exhaust cavity side. Trumpet shaping is very important since in fluid dynamics, a trumpet or tapered shaped aperture will flow much more than a straight walled aperture of the same size. Since the exhaust side runs much hotter, leave a bit more meat on the inter-port webs

The work done with a Dremel and a straight carbide bit for the steel liners and a triangular bit for trumpet shaping the aluminum will take about 2 hours per cylinder. Run the dremel about 1/2 speed and constantly dip the bit in cutting oil otherwise it will gum up with aluminum.

You will see a few MPH increase in top speed and you will notice a slightly better fuel mileage at PART THROTTLE since the engine is working less hard to pump air. At full throttle you will notice a significant decrease in fuel economy since you are generating more horsepower.

Combine the port work with Boyeson reeds (which I have never used) and you will have a nice little package which should just about keep up with the 4 cylinder 90 HP Mercs.

Now, after all this comes the warning: Port work MAY increase the chances of ring catching. However, I have a ported 90 that now has probably thousands of hours on it and a 140 that I take onto big water without worry. Smatter of fact, the 90 is in the avatar above, running on the Chesapeake.

Now, the only photos I have of port work are over in The Chrysler Crew. If I try to import them here, the quality is very poor and almost unusable. SO: If you want to see them, Google The Chrysler Crew, join, scroll down to the questions forum, then on the left side of the screen, click on photos or photo albums. Look for Frank's Boats and scroll through until you get to the porting photos.

Oh, yeah! Force made two different types of reed blocks. If your engine has the plain 5 petal (per side) Vee blocks, improvement can be had by changing to the rubber coated 4 petal Vee blocks. They seal better and I think the reed petals are about 1 or 2 thousands thinner for more responsiveness. You need to get them off a junker though since new, the price would be more than your engine is worth.

RRitt

Captain

frank, I went to chrysler crew once and asked to join. All i got in response was silence. PM me with some details, I'd like to try again.

Matthew A.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be sure to also visit the chryslercrew website for pics of some porting work that Frank has posted in the members area.
I took Franks advice and did some minor porting work on my Force. Although, not a huge change in performance, it did make a noticable difference in overall throttle response as well as an increase in fuel mileage of about 3 tenths per mile per gal.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

And by the way: The rotating and reciprocating assembly is already balanced. You will see machined grooves in the crank cheeks for balance, rods are (usually) within 7 grams weight of each other, but I never weighed the pistons. Some early rods had a grinding tab on top of the small end to equalize weight but the newer ones don't. Perhaps the newer manufacturing techniques are much more accurate. Wiseco does advertise that all their pistons --even oversized--are within factory weight specs for stock pistons.

These engines are rated to operate up to 5500 RPM. Since there is no valve train, they can safely rev to well over 6000 or until the reeds flutter and lose efficiency. Right now, my stock 125 is effortlessly turning 5900 on a 14 foot flat bottom hull.

Porting will raise the RPM at which maximum HP is developed but I don't have a hard number for you. Suffice to say that you would not want to run the engine much over 6000 even though it could. If you were getting that much RPM, a higher pitched prop would be more efficient and give more speed.

If you really want all out speed, you can try raising the top of the ports by about .060. This WILL increase RPM at which maximum HP is developed and you must gear and prop to let the engine rev up and develop this HP. BUT, it will also reduce low and mid range torque. I have never tried this modification, so try it at your own risk. Just like an auto race engine: You would not use a 2.73 rear on it, a 3.90 or 4.10 would be more like it.

You can increase compression but these engines are already at about 9 to 1 and significant increases will require premium fuel. If you only buy your fuel at shore stations, that's fine but if you intend to use marina gasoline, I would leave compression alone.

Ignition timing is set to 30 degrees BTDC at wide open throttle but can be safely set to 32. Any more and power will start to drop again. And if you do increase compression, keep timing at 30 or even 28 BTDC in hopes of avoiding "knock."