Velvet Drive Toasted?

robertevanoff

Recruit
:( MY SITUATION: I have a 1971 36 foot trojan with twin chrysler 260's fresh water cooling, velvet v-drive.
i had taken the boat out late one night with a large group of people (15 people, full tank of gas and fresh water... the boat was loaded) about 8 miles away from port trolling out to a mile marker out by the ferries by minnisott beach nc. we stayed out there for a couple hours until the generator started smoking from a lose cooling line ruptured. i decided to head back because my luck was terrible that night. i do everything text book when it comes to this boat... bilge blowers, fluids check, etc etc... -- we started back and once again trolling at roughly 1300 rpms just cruising, when the port side engine kicked out of gear and rpms shot up. NOT EVEN 2 MINUTES from beginning heading back. i immediately put it in neutral after powering down and shut it off. i inspected the v drive and the transmission and everything seemed fine. no burnt fluids everything looked fine. started it back up, put it in FOREWARD and it did not kick into gear. i put it in reverse and it functioned normally. i continued underway with just the startboard engine, but at the same time, i heard a slight knocking from the port shift lever (which was in neutral). i pulled the lever in reverse and the knockin stopped. i put it in forward the knocking conitnued. i know its from the prop turning because i had different speeds and slower speeds, slower knocks. i dont know what my possibilities are because i havent worked with this type of transmission before. i have a LOT of experience with alpha one and bravo drives but thats about as far as it goes with transmissions. HELP PLEASE! :D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Velvet Drive Toasted?

The BorgWarner Velvet drives are a fairly simple transmission. And repair parts are available.
Here is a link to some OEM manuals you must have.

http://www.motoren.ath.cx/menus/velvet.html

They are nothing like a Bravo or Alpha outdrive.

salty87

Commander
Re: Velvet Drive Toasted?

sounds to me like something in the prop maybe