"Don't worry, that sign doesn't apply to us"

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought my first boat this past summer and have been wearing it out ever since. It's small (14.5'), light (~370 lbs), and just fast enough to get the driver into trouble (25 mph - max).

My son and I were fishing on Melton Hill Lake (which was created by damming the Clinch River) in Knoxville, TN. One section of the lake opens up to an enormous open area of water, but the main channel skirts the outer edge of this area. I really didn't see a need to follow the channel all the way around the opening, thus adding three miles on to our trip, when we could just as easily cut across the large open area. So we did - at full throttle.

As we were buzzing across our "shortcut", my son (whom is 4) noticed that we passed a sign.

"What does that sign say, Daddy?"
"It says 'shallow water', but that doesn't apply to us; only to big boats."

Seconds later, we ran aground and threw a rooster tail of mud 2 feet into the air as the outboard motor kicked up to a 45? angle. Wow. We were stuck in water so shallow that the trolling motor wouldn't even go down. The boat was balancing on it's keel.

I jumped out of the boat and found that the water was only a foot or so deep. Then I began the process of lifting the front of the boat and trying to "walk" it back to the deep part of the lake. This was going to take some time, as I could only move it 2-3" at a time.

There was a gentleman playing with his dog on the edge of his property that bordered the lake. He took notice of our situation and said, "You know, I've lived here for 18 years, and that never gets old!"

My son said, "What'd he say, Daddy?"
I replied, "Nothing . . . don't talk to strangers."

45 minutes later, we were back on track. Lesson learned.

captquest

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: "Don't worry, that sign doesn't apply to us"

That is funny. Your son is going to be very wise learning from your mistakes. hee hee

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Be thankful it was your son in the boat. Others may still be on you about not reading the signs. (Not implying that any of us may have a certain someone else in our lives who would continually remind us of not reading the signs:p)

Great story though...

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I've been in my brother's boat that has bottomed out on a sand bar in a lake, I don't recall us going all that fast when we hit it. I've also been in my uncle's boat that was going 3/4 throttle through a little short cut and the driver (my uncle) hit a stump with the motor in a boat that will run about 35 to 40 mph or so at that 3/4 throttle. I had a headache after we hit that stump, it rattled me pretty good, the my uncle never complained of any pain after hitting that stump.

Same uncle, we were on a part of a river that I've never fished and he hasn't been on in over 10 years, we were in his boat. Anyhow my brother done for warned me about how stumpy that part of the river was when you get out of the main channel. My uncle's boat doesn't have a working depth finder on it at all, we were traveling at full throttle when all of a sudden we come up on a long bent over rod sticking out of the water :eek:, imagine hitting that at full speed, it would rip a boat right in two. From that point on my uncle slowed it down, but when we went to stop at an area to fish it out we hit a stump. I'm surprised that my uncles boat and motor has held up so well.

You really half to watch where you go on these lakes and rivers, and pay attention to the signs especially if they drop the water for the winter. The lake we fish on is an average of 10ft deep, with some holes that go up to 100ft deep (I've heard) but I've seen 50 ft deep areas on the depth finder in person. I've heard people say, "well you need to run through such and such area at full throttle to keep the boat more out of the water so you'll have a better chance making it through without hitting anything". Not me, the "area" mentioned above was 6 foot deep at the lake's full depth and capacity.

One thing that you can do is invest in a map that shows the depth of the lake, main channel, etc etc. You can also study some lakes and rivers on the internet to get an idea on the lake or river's average depth.

boatruptcy

Seaman Apprentice

i used to live on melton hill, i know that lake very well and i have run my jet ski aground there too, never was real good at that reading stuff either.

rndn

Commander

It was nice of that guy to at least let you know you're not alone.
In my 10 years of boating on Lake Ontario I witnessed at least 15 boats plow into a large rock about 50 feet off shore. The rock was at least 20 feet across and depending on water conditions would be anywhere from 1 foot underwater to above the water line.
One boat went between my anchored boat and the shore and as he was idleing by I mentioned the large rock and his reply was that he had been boating the area for years and knew exactly what he was doing. His response was short and you could tell he was upset that I mentioned such a thing to him. The wife and I sat back and enjoyed our beverages when he actually opens up the throttle and just as the boat was getting on plane, at least a 22 footer, he crashed right into the rock, His outdrive kicked up in the air and the boat actually stopped on the rock out of the water. To get it off of the rock he had to get out with his buddies and push it off. I didn't offer to help and although it was only about 100 feet from our boat, the guy never looked over in my direction. The boat was driveable but only at idle speed. About an hour later as we headed in we passed him as he was still only half way to the launch.

mphy98

Lieutenant

to quote a great redneck comedian "HERE'S YOUR SIGN":D

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lmao....it wouldnt have been funny if yall had gotten hurt, pride not withstanding.