What the Merc dealer says

Btuvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have not received any answers to my last two posts in this forum so am concerned that I have offended you good folks in some way. I feel compelled to remind you that if you share a thought with me that does not mean that it is gone and unavailable to be shared with someone else.

I took my boat to Merc dealer. I'll tell you the problem and what merc says.

Boat will reach planing speed, miss, lose power, almost drop off plane, catch, run up to 30mph (gps) and stay there for a few minutes before repeating. Advancing throttle will not take it over 30. It misses so badly that it bogs down to idle speed.

The dealer did not first run engine or use computer to determine problem. Instead decided to do compression check. Discovered that one plug had been cross threaded. Tells me that tap may work or I may need new or reman head.

There is corrosion - especially around connections. Head gasket looks as if someone took a small finger nail size scoop out of edge. Silicone is applied. Dealer says replace gasket. Expensive job. Don't know whether or not silicone is working but it was obviously put there to stop leak that was causing corrosion.

Dealer says can clean corrosion, replace connections, tap thread, replace plugs and put back together and then try and figure out original problem. This will cost $300.

Replacing head gasket will cost additional $600.

Can a good auto mechanic replace head gasket on this engine or must I rely on Merc dealer?

What are your opinions/recommendations. If you don't have any at least say "Hi".

Thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: What the Merc dealer says

Btuvi,

Hi....

Sorry to hear that you didn't get any response from other posts...

Maybe if you tell us what engine you have it would help us to help you.... If you have the engine serial number all the better.

Chris.........

Btuvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mercury 2002 225 optimax

Serial # tomorrow

gss036

Commander

Without knowing what kind of motor you have it is hard to tell you what to do. Doing the head gasket on a V-6 only takes about an hour if things go well, maybe 2 hours if it needs a lot of cleaning. The gasket on a V-6 are 30 bucks, so that will give you an idea. What is the shop charging for labor rate?
I would think $600 would be for replacing the heads.
Looks like we were all writing at the same time.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

well.... i guess your asking here because you suspect the dealer is yanking your chain. The boats not in front of me..... but I suspect the dealer is not. Doesnt matter if the boat is an efi outboard or a carbed sterdrive..... a compression test is where you start 90 percent of the time. After that... you pull a fuel sample. I can list 10 things I would check in the troubleshooting list, but the fact of the matter is, is that you need to fix what you find along way, and keep going. As with any engine (but epsecially in the marine world) unless your engine only a season or 2 old, the odds of having multiple problems goes up every year the thing gets older.
That being said.... outboard heads are aluminum and the threads for spark plugs are not that deep. I've seen people dang near pull out breaker bars when installing plugs, when in fact they only need something like 15 ft lbs of torque on them... i don't have the exact number in front of me.... but trust me, it ain't much.
It stinks.... but sometimes people dump a grand into the motor and still haven't found the problem. Troubleshooting engines isn't alway looking for that 1 smoking gun.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Forget the dealer.

Remove both heads, clean them up yourself.

Take the one with the boogered threads to a local machine shop, have them weld in the hole, drill and re-tap.

Borrow a torque wrench from auto-zone and reinstall the heads with new gaskets.

Compression test

Spark test

Install new plugs

Re=post your findings.

Btuvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Geez, CharlieB, you must not have read my previous posts. Remove both heads? There's more than one?

On the plus side - I like your approach. Maybe with the help of a mechanical friend I might attempt your suggestions and would learn a lot in the process. I'll give that serious consideration. What you say makes sense?

Replacing the head gasket sure seems to be the way to go. Otherwise too much chance I would have to do it anyway in the not to distant future. Eliminate the potential problem now is best.

Thanks for all input, folks. Don't stop now.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

you never said... but whats the compression on the 5 cylinders they could check?

Btuvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for reminding me.

1. 105 5. 100

2. 115 6. 115

3. 100

Also found out that engine has 666 hrs on it instead of the "little over 500 - maybe 512" that the seller said.

George Zeck

Seaman Apprentice

I new to the boating world, but have done or have friends who have done serious auto engine work. The concept is still quite similar. If you fall into the above group - I'd get the Seloc / Merc Maintenance manual and do the head gaskets yourself. I did mine before (auto) with not knowing too much - make sure you have good backup (book & mechanically inclined friends - I'm sure you can save the engine.

Good Luck.

Geo

George Zeck

Seaman Apprentice

I new to the boating world, but have done or have friends who have done serious auto engine work. The concept is still quite similar. If you fall into the above group - I'd get the Seloc / Merc Maintenance manual and do the head gaskets yourself. I did mine before (auto) with not knowing too much - make sure you have good backup (book & mechanically inclined friends - I'm sure you can save the engine.

Good Luck.

Geo

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If it was mine I would let the Merc dealer do it. This engine uses o-ring instead of a head gasket and they are about 14.00each times 3. The head if machine shop fouls it up is over a $1000.00 thru Merc:eek:. Let the dealer eat that if it gets "fubar"

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Btuvi PM'd me this message, i'm going to post it in the forum so everyone can read and learn.

btuvi said:
225 optimax is neither an efi nor is it a sterndrive. Since you specifically mentioned these two are you including opti in your approach?

Actually an optipop is an EFI. It is just 1 of the many versions that the generic term efi refers to. Technically It is a DFI or (DEFI). It is a design by Orbital corp out of Austrailia, and not a Merc design. I am quite familiar with it.

btuvi said:
When the boat would not run out properly when I did a test run (would miss and not run at power) we took it to Merc dealer who immediately put computer on engine (took about a minute) and checked a myriad of things. This approach seemed to be most reasonable since it only took a moment and would quickly identify or eliminate an entire range of problems. In fact, there was a problem identified (loose wire/sensor front of engine that said engine being told that it was colder than it actually was and so engine was being fed more gas than appropriate). Wire was tightened and computer check run and I was told problem was fixed and engine was good to go. Dealer may have been right about loose wire and may have been right about "engine good to go" since there could be another problem only indirectly related to engine - bad fuel, for instance. But having dealer tell me that my "problem" was fixed when in fact it was not is one of the things that makes me question what a dealer tells me.

When problem persisted I took it to second Merc dealer whose approach was to check compression first. Since the first dealer elected to run computer check and it is so simple and easy to do I would have thought that would be approach of second dealer. You feel differently and I would like to understand why.

Which is exactly why I said in my first post
captjason said:
but the fact of the matter is, is that you need to fix what you find along way, and keep going. As with any engine (but epsecially in the marine world) unless your engine only a season or 2 old, the odds of having multiple problems goes up every year the thing gets older.

It sounds like somebody was looking for a quick fix.

As with any engine..... you either have a mechanical problem, a fuel problem, or an electrical/ignition problem...... or a combination of the 3. It always comes down to 3 basic systems. Opti's have an air system... but you can file that under mechanical.

btuvi said:
you feel differently and I would like to understand why

It all depends on what an engine is doing... and how much you want to shuck out for me to find your problem(s). I like to start with mechanical system first. For a bunch of reasons.
First, every engine needs a minimum amout of compression to run correctly. Any less and it will never run right. The engines computers job is to keep the engine running, no matter what. And the engines computer has no idea what your compression is. The ECU also has no idea if you have water in the fuel, a problem with the boat side fuel system, cross threaded spark plugs, etc etc. When you read what you read in the ECU your assuming everything else is correct. Now i'm not saying it's a bad thing to start with a scan tool first.... it all depends on the complaint with the engine.

btuvi said:
You commented on cross threaded spark plug but didn't offer a solution. Dealer says options are to tap and replace plug and hope for the best or send back to factory for reman. Are those really the only two options? I've been told that local machine shop would helioarc, tap, and rethread. Why would this option not have been mentioned? Wouldn't that seem to be the most reasonable alternative? Could that have been what dealer meant when he said "tap"? If so why would he also say "hope for the best"?

The solution is replace the head. Helicoils never work (even though helicoil says they will). Heliarcing is a different story, but here's the deal.
The dealer is a representive of the Brunswick(Mercury) corp. They represent the company, the companies product, and the companies product solutions. There is a million different ways you can fix anything. But the dealer has to represent the way Mercury wants it to be fixed, and thats it. You can always call Merc, but your not going to get very far. Its more of a legal thing.
Look at it this way. If you helicoiled a spark plug, and your on the water and the spark plug blows out, what happens??? What happens is the cowl fills up with fumes, and then explodes hopefully not killing you or anybody else. However, at best, your out an engine, at worst your without a boat and or family members. This situation is known as a lawyers dream. The lawyer is going to find out about the work done to the boat, and they are going to sue Helicoil, the dealer, the mechanic that did the work, and brunswick.... and see who folds/settles first.... The same thing can be said about heliarcing. now the lawyers are going to sue everyone plus the machinist. Brunswick is going to look at it and say "that's not the way we do things" and wipe their hands of it. So now it's on the dealer.
Dealers know this, and that's why they will only (hopefully) make repairs to Merc specifications. If you want to take your chances... then it's on you, and I don't blame the dealer for taking that stance.

btuvi said:
Since I have no mechanical expertise it is important to me that I be able to rely on dealer. In this instance their approach to determining "missing" problem (not first using computer to check) combined with their comments about cross threading problem/solution leaves me in doubt as to the other problems identified and solutions offered.

Listen... you have a bad head. More than likely caused by the last clown that put spark plugs in it. Like i've been saying... fix what you find and move on. Thats the name of the game. There is absolutely no point in spending any more time in the engine if your not willing to fix that problem. There are still some things that could be checked even with the bad plug hole, but that takes time. If i'm the shop, and i'm already into you for 2 hours of diagnostic time, i'm not going to spend any more time until i'm sure that your going to pay me for my time.... wether you choose to fix the problem or not.

btuvi said:
They said that corrosion on fittings were caused by pinhole leak in gasket. Someone had applied a dab of silicone to stop leak. Maybe it worked - maybe it didn't. There is no way to tell. But isn't there a product that, applied over that dab of silicone or after scraping silicone off, would give me more assurance that the leak problem would be fixed? In other words, is the only solution to replace gasket? At $99 per hour and six or seven hours involved it is an expense to be avoided unless it is the only practical solution.

What say you?

Thanks for your comments.

Btuvi

I don't know.... i don't have anything to say about that.

If you say your boat is throttleing up... then falls on its face, then throttles up again.... repeat repeat, and your having a wide surge in power. Here is what i personally would check first.

1. engine compression
2. boat side fuel system for restrictions and air leaks
3. engine side fuel pressure, and engine side air pressure.

it sounds like your either loosing fuel pressure or just don't have enough to sustain rpms....
Or... your loosing air pressure or just don't have enough to sustain rpms.... Could be the compressor, could be a valve in the balancing system, could be a pressure relief valve.... could be alot of things. You may be able to shoot some power tune in the compressors air intake and fix everythign.... (except for the plug hole) or the hole DFI system may be junk. Who knows. The optis will run with the entire air (DFI) system not working... they just run like crap and make no power. But that's just what it sounds like... and lots of things can sound like lots of things... the boat is not in front of me.
None of that requires a scan tool. just some gauges.
Best of luck.
Jason

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Same idea as a heli coil..... wouldn't trust it though.

Btuvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really appreciate the comments and the time you took to make them. Here is some additonal info.

I picked boat up today without any repairs or work being done. Wanted to think about situation and get more input from the forum. Everything I've found out so far has only served to confuse me. Your comments have (I think) been a help.

Though I had given the dealer permission to remove cross threaded spark plug they neglected to do it. My inclination is to leave it in unless I'm given a reason not to.

I was also inclined, until I read these latest posts, to put the other plugs back in and have a mechanic friend go for a boat ride and see if he had any thoughts. He said it sounded like a reed valve (I think he said) to him. Slightly bent or clogged reed could cause the problem. After reading posts I am afraid to have anyone but Merc touch it though.

Here is a thing that bothers me. First Merc dealer said loose wire, fixed it, and said "good to go". Despite their confidence they were wrong. One merc dealer being wrong doesn't instill confidence in the next merc dealer. There are an awful lot of things, expensive things, the present dealer is contemplating doing before they even identify the original problem. I don't understand why they couldn't identify the problem and then say "In addition to fixing this problem here are some other things you need to address".

When I picked up the boat I did pay dealer $200 for his time. Basically they told me I needed a new head - for two reasons. The plug is cross threaded and the dab of silicone and corrosion indicates that there was/is a pin hole leak. Is the cross threaded plug a danger - the kind of danger you described with helicoils - or as long as it is "in" even though cross threaded is it safe? If the leak no longer exists is it a consideration?

Fuel, by the way, does not appear to be contaminated.

Compression check figures are listed in previous post here.

Plug gaps have not been checked but, just looking at them while in conversation dealer "guessed" .040. Seller said that he installed them out of box at .025 - .028. NGK says the should be .031. How important are the differences in these figures?

Does anyone know where I can find a head without spending an arm and a leg? Buying a new head is only the first expensive step. Then it needs to be installed. Would it be worthwhile to consider replacing engine instead?

Thanks again for all your help. You are obviously very comfortable in the mechanical world. I am not. Not only because of a lack of knowledge or weak right side brain but because of experience. My experience and that of all whom I know is that it is not always easy to find a mechanic who is both knowledgeable and trustworthy. I had a Ford dealer tell me that I needed my engine replaced only to have a mechanic friend regap spark plugs and solve problem.

Thanks again for your help.

Btuvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been checking out rebuilt powerheads online and find price ranges from $3000 to $4000.

Given the state of my head - powerhead, that is - can my head be rebuilt or even be accepted for a core refund.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Google search for Outboard Salvage and start sending emails and phone calls for used cyl head, roughly half price of new for perfectly servicable head.

Replace head with new o-rings.

While the head is off take good pictures of the cyl bores and post links here so we can see if any damage to any cyl's.

Screw it back together and we can advise you how to go about troubleshooting your problem(s).

Btuvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's the latest:

Wrong spark plugs installed. Installed were IZFR5G gapped at .031. According to NGK that plug is for 2003 or newer. The 2002 takes a PZFR5F-11 gapped at .040.

Machine shop says it looks as if only bottom (less than a) third of threads in plug hole may be bad. Says a simple tap may do the job. Will install time sert if it does not.

Plug wires: Contacts were covered with rust/corrosion. Lucky to make any contact at all.

Thermostat gasket. Apparently Merc had a problem with these and they are no longer available. In their place is a new gasket kit for both sides including cover. It's a different size.

Cylinder head gaskets were brittle.

I'd be interested in reading any opinions regarding any of this but especially comments regarding the difference the plug discrepancy might make and new plug wires.

mthieme

Captain

Having read all this about your dilemma, I can't help but wonder if your initial problem turns out to be something simple like a clogged fuel filter.