LOWER PROP PUMP? What's that?

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: LOWER PROP PUMP? What's that?

This guy is selling an 85HP Johnson that needs a "lower prop pump." I've never heard of that term before. Is this an easy enough fix for a semi mechanical guy? Any guestimate how much this part or repair might go for?

See: http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/887511256.html

I'm gonna assume he meant the water pump. But if its gone, the motor itself could have some serious side effects if it was run without a working water pump.

If you're not comfortable with it, I'd have it check out by a mechanic. Or if you're looking for a project boat, give it a shot. But be prepared that the engine may need more $$$ to repair than you expect.... and that's before you check out the boat.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Or could he mean the oil pump on the power tilt and trim?

Surely anyone would call the water pump a water pump.

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the quick replies. He must mean the water pump. If you look at the picture on the link, it doesn't look like it has power trim or tilt. I'm thinking of parting my old Tri-Hull. The transom is getting soft from my 100 HP Johnson. I bought that engine off a junked 20 ft and put it on a 15ft Tri-Hull. Man does that boat fly. :eek:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Most likely, he is referring to the oil pump on the propeller shaft - it's an electric shift motor.

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most likely, he is referring to the oil pump on the propeller shaft - it's an electric shift motor.

How much would you guess that would be for a repair at a Marina or is it simple enough an average Joe could fix?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You have to take the gearcase apart to get to the oil pump. Labor and parts. Call your local shop and see. A lot of shops won't work on them so you may have to hunt for a rebuilder. If you have the tools and the factory service manual you can probably do it.

I would look for value in the boat, not the motor, - just my opinion.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If the seller is calling it a lower prop pump, he doesn't have a clue what is wrong with it or what it needs. Let the buyer beware.

iwombat

Captain

Clearly, it's one of those self-inflating props and the internal pump has failed. :D

In order to fix that you'll need a new pump, a patch kit for the prop and a calibration penguin.

1) Slice a hole in the prop using a sharp knife.
2) Insert the new self-inflating pump.
3) Reseal the prop using self-inflating prop re-sealer tool #34581 and patch kit.
4) Set the calibration penguin and prop on the prop calibrating stand #42356
5) Adjust the prop until the penguin prefers sardines over anchovies.

That's all there is to it.

(Please don't take any of that seriously)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Works for me every time.

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the seller is calling it a lower prop pump, he doesn't have a clue what is wrong with it or what it needs. Let the buyer beware.

No kidding! I was waiting for him to mention the samoflange is also broken. Oh well.