Water pump won't shut off

Pandion28

Recruit
Recently purchased a "new to me" boat. It had appx. 9 leaky hose connections. Prior to tightening them up, the pump would run continuously & then trip the breaker. After tightening up the loose connections, the pump still doesn't shut off, but it's no tripping the breaker either. I'm sure I'm leak free, I checked to make sure the pump is actually sucking on the inlet side, & pumping on the outlet. The pump looks to be a fairly new Jabsco. Any ideas as to why a pump wouldn't stop running?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water pump won't shut off

what kind on pump are we talking about. live well, pressure system for sink? bilge pump?????

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is there a pressure switch that is supposed to shut it off? If there is then is could be defective.

Pandion28

Recruit

It's a Jabsco & it provides pressure water for kitchen & bath sinks as well as the shower. Not familiar with it having a pressure switch, bt it does make sense. Do you know where I should look? Is it internal to the pump? There's nothing external I can see.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If there is a pressure switch, you need to make sure there are no leaks in the water system as the pump cannot build pressure if there is. If you have no water in the system the pump cannot build pressure either. Its a water pump, not an air pump.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you look at the pump, you will see the round, motor portion. There are two wires that go to the motor portion. The hot (red) wire will go from the round motor portion to the pressure switch, which is on top of the pump section. The pressure switch is about 1 1/2 inches and rectangular. There is an adjustment screw in the switch, however there is usually a reason why it is not working. If the motor and pump are supplying the right pressure ( and you do not have leaks) you will most likely have to replace the switch. Yes, you can play around with the settings with a phillips screwdriver, and it might start to work.....but 9 times out of 10, you should replace it.