Free Boat From Friend..Looking for info

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well my buddy at work gave me his boat because one of the piston on the outboard crapped the bed...rather than fix it he bought another boat.The boat itslef is in great shape for its age!! Just looking for any information I could get on it....When i try to google it it comes up with sailboats lol

Its a 1977 Columbian 22' Open boat,and has a small cuddy up on the bow.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Free Boat From Friend..Looking for info

Welcome to Iboats!

The boat brand is not that important but posting the engine info would help.
Do you plan on a repower or rebuilding the bad engine?

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to Iboats!

The boat brand is not that important but posting the engine info would help.
Do you plan on a repower or rebuilding the bad engine?

The engine is a 1995 Johnson 150hp V6 engine is 150ELEOM ..the dealer that my buddy took it to had the heads off of the engine...so I could see the damage when he gave me the boat....all the pistons look fine except the top one on the starboard side...looks like the top of it melted and small pices of molten metal like sesame seed on the piston and head....well the dealer said that when they started taking it apart that the rods and everything were fine,and it just look like the rings failed from "sitting" for so long.

I found a site that has every single tiny part for that specific engine....and the good news is that every cylinder has a sleeve.soooo what my thoughts are is to remove the power head and bring it to a local machine shop..have them remove the sleeve and press a new one in. From what a found for parts Top of head is $256,Piston and rings are about $110 and a OEM sleeve in $28.

so if all goes well and thats all i need with labor etc. i'm hoping that it might cost less than a grand.

next week we me and a friend are going to remove the power head and lower assembly and bring them into the basement of my aprtment...Im actually going to tear the engine down so see for my self if that was the only damage.price wise a new/rebuilt power head runs between 3-4k and a new 150 engine is over 10k!!! so with the economy being as it is and i pay cash for every thing it would be 1-2 years before saving to buy a new powerhead.so if dont get anywhere from tearing it down at least i will gain some knowledge!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

congrats on the free boat...

i didnt see where you are....but winter is coming in most parts......while you fix the motor.....there is one thing you might want to do with the boat.....

cover it good......and keep the bow way way up high with the drain plug out.

after you deal with the engine....we can help you with the boat it self.

cheers
oops

zach103

Commander

it was built in wallingford ct and sold over in meriden i believe. . Robert Hatch was the builder. His son now owns suburban marine right by the meriden mall. i just started a Columbian 14. im still trying to get info from the owner but no luck yet. i did meet with some people that built it. where are you located?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Not sure about sleeves in that motor,,,
You may want to look at these power head kits..
http://www.powerheadkit.com/johnson.htm

Post in the Johnson outboard section and Dhadley or Ezeke can give you tons of info.
Most definately rebuild the carbs and fuel pumps when you put it all back together..

oops!

Supreme Mariner

mannnnn.....look at this info you guys gave.....:)

is this site good or what !

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

congrats on the free boat...

i didnt see where you are....but winter is coming in most parts......while you fix the motor.....there is one thing you might want to do with the boat.....

cover it good......and keep the bow way way up high with the drain plug out.

after you deal with the engine....we can help you with the boat it self.

cheers
oops

yup the drain plug is out and i have te front of the trailer on acinder block so any rain will go out the back...going to get a big *** blue tarp this week and cover her up good after i clean her out.

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it was built in wallingford ct and sold over in meriden i believe. . Robert Hatch was the builder. His son now owns suburban marine right by the meriden mall. i just started a Columbian 14. im still trying to get info from the owner but no luck yet. i did meet with some people that built it. where are you located?

I'm located in western MA

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure about sleeves in that motor,,,
You may want to look at these power head kits..
http://www.powerheadkit.com/johnson.htm

Post in the Johnson outboard section and Dhadley or Ezeke can give you tons of info.
Most definately rebuild the carbs and fuel pumps when you put it all back together..

wow thanks for the link!!. great stuff there....Im going to go and take pics of the boat and engine damage tomorrow..i'm 99% sure there are sleeves...i think the guy at the dealer said the guy may have put a 94 power head on it...and the electrical was all messed up (when my buddy first got the boat it didnt run right,cost a $1000 for the dealer to redo the electrical/ignition)

zach103

Commander

so its possible that you could get that... um i can try and get info on yours too but i can't promise anything and itll have to wait till friday when im home.

im having trouble getting info on mine. get some pictures up

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here she is!!! pretty good shape...but i plan on repainting her,redoing guages/wiring, buying all new deck hardware and filling up all the old screw holes in the fiberglass from who knows what the previous owner had installed!

Attachments

• IMG_1903.JPG
    IMG_1903.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 0

zach103

Commander

wow that is in good shape..deff recognize the hull. looks just like mine.. hope nothings rotten.

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow that is in good shape..deff recognize the hull. looks just like mine.. hope nothings rotten.

yeah the only place that the core might have gotten wet is a place on the transon where the prev. owner cut a hole to get hoses through...other than that i checked around the boat and the deck,gunwales and quite a few other places where there are hole straight thru are just fiberglass and no core

zach103

Commander

check out my thread.. "new project" and youll consider yourself lucky lol.. im gunna try and get down there thursday or friday.. im at school now with no car. and everytime ive been he wasnt there but luckily its down the road

zach103

Commander

Ill try to get info on yours too***

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are some more pics......right now my concern is getting the engine off some how and putting it in my basement to work on before it gets to cold.

and you cant see it in the pic but the prev owner did and absolutly horrible white paint job all over...plan on sanding the whole thing down next year and redoing the top white but the sides blue with a maroon stripe (interlux or sterling paint).

Attachments

• IMG_1904.JPG
    IMG_1904.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1915.JPG
    IMG_1915.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1917.JPG
    IMG_1917.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1921.JPG
    IMG_1921.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1926.JPG
    IMG_1926.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 0

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thats a really nice boat for a freebie!
The trailer looks to be in good shape too..

That should be a fun winter project...congrats!

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Good snatch and grab!! Ya gotta love those trim tabs, too. Trailer looks really decent, no liner with stuff hiding behind it, and a cool look. Maybe you can borrow or rent a cherry picker to pop that Johnson off the stern and wheel it in. That may be the most stable thing you can use for the motor.
Good luck and keep us posted!