tilt problem

gizzy

Seaman
I have a 1990 150 evinrude motor on my boat and My motor drops on forward throttle out of the hole. I cannot get it to plane at all and did all I could manually. Everything seems to work properly as far as raising and lowering the motor. I have a new shifter and everything is fine... Man this is driving me nuts... I sat on it to try to pull it down and tryed to pull it down with a come -a-long...It's a hydolic system and it's A1...Does anyone have any ideas?...I ran out of them...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: tilt problem

Im sorry, I cannot understand what your issue is??

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

On full trim up, with the engine powered up in gear, the engine shouild drop to the extended trim rams and go down no further. The shifter, if you're referring to the shifter dog in the lower unit, has nothing to do with the PTT unit. If you're speaking of the control shifting unit (control box), the only relation there is the PTT switch.

Exactly, in detail as good as possible, what is happening with that engine?

gizzy

Seaman

On full trim up, with the engine powered up in gear, the engine shouild drop to the extended trim rams and go down no further. The shifter, if you're referring to the shifter dog in the lower unit, has nothing to do with the PTT unit. If you're speaking of the control shifting unit (control box), the only relation there is the PTT switch.

Exactly, in detail as good as possible, what is happening with that engine?

Sir, in your thoughts as a ptt switch. Is it a switch located above the electric motor on the tilt unit? Reason is it's ancient and it doesn't move unless you phisically do it manually.. I'm not sure what PTT is but, I think this switch is what your talking about. Now what I was refering to is, when your motor is in the water lowering it with your tilt and you throttle up, the motor slams down all the way down to the pin adjustment on the tilt unit. But, when I lower the rpms I can tilt up the motor. Am I explaining this correctly? Or when you are ready to take off the motor drops. Now also the same when your trolling along say out of the dock, you want to get cruising. Push on the throttle then the motor drops. You just can't get the rpms going. I hope you understand... Thank you.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

PTT stands for "Power Tilt & Trim" which is what the 1990 150hp engine should have. Your explanation indicates that the engine is pushing the two "Trim Rams" in when power is applied. If so, either the unit is very low on fluid or something internally has failed.

gizzy

Seaman

I did think that too.. A while ago I did put hydrolic fluid in, and it took a little. What I don't understand is that the engine doesn't drop downward any other time. I put physical weight from me on it for a while, and even let the motor in full up position over night with out the rest stop and it still wouldn't drop. Wouldn't it drop all the time and the hydrolic fluid leak out? Also the tilt switch have anything to do with it? Otherwise I'll check the fluid again. Thank you. Please give me an opinion once again if you would.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if im not mistaken the switch thing above the trim motor is for your trim gauge.

my boat has multiple tnt switches---one on the bow so when im runnin my trolling motor i can raise the motor, one on the throttle for when im under way, and one on the stern to help me put on my transom saver.

if you have a leak externally you should see signs of fluid somewhere if internally youll have to do some repairs to get it to work properly.........as far as not going down until you give it gas---i doubt you weigh as much as the foot pounds of thrust that motor is putting out.

gizzy

Seaman

if im not mistaken the switch thing above the trim motor is for your trim gauge.

my boat has multiple tnt switches---one on the bow so when im runnin my trolling motor i can raise the motor, one on the throttle for when im under way, and one on the stern to help me put on my transom saver.

if you have a leak externally you should see signs of fluid somewhere if internally youll have to do some repairs to get it to work properly.........as far as not going down until you give it gas---i doubt you weigh as much as the foot pounds of thrust that motor is putting out.

Sir, I thought about that weight and thrust lbs on my boat. It's a 18' winner and the integrity is A+. But I do apreciate the feed-back you gave me. Looks like I'm done for this season. I also had a re-built lower in installed this season, that costs. But anyhow I guess this is out of my hands. Once again, thank you. Darren

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yep those lower units are outrageously priced. did you buy the lower unit and do it yourself or pay to have it installed?

as far as your tnt goes the new and rebuilt assemblies are pretty pricey too, but you can buy an after market that sets the motor back for better performance as well as having tnt----the last time i checked they were around $500-600, and the last i checked on the tnt (factory) assembly they were around $800-900.

my boat will plane out with the trim all the way in but i cant reach full rpms nor top speed without trimming out a little...but it will plane out.

another thought have you made sure the manual release valve is good and tight?

gizzy

Seaman

I had it done. I got the lower in and a new shifter for $1110.00. That was including labor. You know this is really a strang thing I ran into. Yesterday I re-checked everything and the hydrolic fluid also. I have it as filled as possible. Also like you said about the manual lift. It's tight. Looks like I don't have a choice here. I'll have to take it to the shop. I sure hope it's not the pump system. They are pricey not to mention the work involved. Also I was going to say that my trim tabs are automatic adjusting. Even at that, it still won't plane out.I also have trolling motors I installed. They are minnkota 160 24v ...They mount on the outboard. Work great. Well I'll let you know the diagnosis this coming week. Thanks again