Am I crazy or does this work??

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Am I crazy or does this work??

Actually there has been a bit of research showing that "aromatic hydrocarbons" attract salmon and I've seen many fishers use WD-40 as an attractant. I don't know if it works, but it definetely doesn't repel fish. At least in the ocean, fresh water may be another story.

I just read that WD 40 is made with fish oil .. that would explain everything ....

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I just read that WD 40 is made with fish oil .. that would explain everything ....

Umm- would like to know more about that - where did you get that?

http://www.wd40.com/faqs/ says that it is a petroleum based product. It does not, however, reveal its actual ingredients. Neither does WD-40 website list "fish attractant" as one of their "2000 uses."

Still trying to find those illusive fishing answers :)

MudSkunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

one technique that europeans use for catfishing is called klonking. this consists of making big splashes in the water with a klonker. a klonker is kinda like a solid rubber toilet plunger. some species of catfish are attracted to loud sounds. so it isnt unreasonable that running a livewell may indeed excite them a little getting them to eat.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

http://www.wd40.com/faqs/ says that it is a petroleum based product. It does not, however, reveal its actual ingredients. Neither does WD-40 website list "fish attractant" as one of their "2000 uses."

Like I wrote ... I read an article on internet ... will find it and get back to you. On the link you supplied me with the company that makes WD40 does claim that ingredients is a secret and that it does not contain any product that would promote cancer ... smells like fish oil already ... LOL so I ll do some digging to get that information.

Obviously they rightfully and wisely dont mention that it would be a fish attractant ... since it's not what it was made for ... . In the same line of thinking Avon's product for women called Skin so Soft does not claim to be a moskito repellent either ... but it's available at most golf clubs during mosquito bursts months ...

Regards

Last edited:

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

On internet Explorer ... type WD40 fish oil ... you'll have plenty of reading to do ... one of which the company claims WD40 can be used on fishing equipement and bait in order to eliminate human scent ... We are getting closer and closer ... LOL

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

More info:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp

Number 39 on the list: "WD40 attracts fish ..."

The devil made me do it ... LOL

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Snopes quotes the MSDS which has listed 0-1% "unregulated fragrance"

I suppose that could be fish oil, but I still am paranoid about anything oily on my fishing tackle.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Snopes quotes the MSDS which has listed 0-1% "unregulated fragrance"

I suppose that could be fish oil, but I still am paranoid about anything oily on my fishing tackle.

Same here ... especialy if it leaves a flotting oil spot on my lake ... LOL

This is probably just another old fishing joke or maybe an old wives tale. I don't really remember where I heard it or even who it was that told me that "All woman seem to possess some sort of a scent within their bodies that is a natural fish attractant.

Even if this particular piece of information just happens to actually hold some amount of truth. One really has to wonder about exactly how it was discovered in the first place. I've been been very happily married to the same wonderful woman now for over 34 years. Over the years she has been extremely understanding, accommodating and even very supportive of most of the symptoms associated with the incurable disease known as "Fishing Pox"

That all being said, I have to say that there's absolutely no way that she's going to agree to be towed behind my boat while I'm trolling for fish!

Even though she has been the greatest catch of my life! A REAL KEEPER!!
I'm relatively sure that she does believe me when I tell her that I have absolutely no desire to have her hanging on my wall as a trophy!

LOL!! )>}}}}@>~AZ-FISHBAIT~<@{{{{<(

FishyFish

Chief Petty Officer

"All woman seem to possess some sort of a scent within their bodies that is a natural fish attractant.

I've been been very happily married to the same wonderful woman now for over 34 years.

That all being said, I have to say that there's absolutely no way that she's going to agree to be towed behind my boat while I'm trolling for fish!

Too Funny.gif

That's Freak'n Funny....Muhahahahaaaaaa!

j_martin

Admiral

When I took my kids fishing, and the bite was light, they would get bored and miss every bite. I told them that things could be improved by humming. Take the fish line into your mouth and hum. It goes down the line and attracts the fish.

Of course, they expected action, and didn't miss so many bites. To this day, some of my girls swear that humming works.

LOL, and good memories.
John

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Good stories.

A friend who is first nations (Haida) says an old trick is to catch halibut is to get your wife to urinate on your bait.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Well- got these two this week in Memphramagog without WD-40 or any other weird additive. 5# + each.

Attachments

• DSC00840 (2).jpg
    DSC00840 (2).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

btw- I am not impressed with Berkely Gulp "Trout"- washes off lures almost immediately (one 2-minute dunk and no evidence of any left on a spoon when trolling) and the previously posted 5#ers - I forgot to put it on and caught mine within a few minutes of putting the lure setup out. STILL haven't been willing to sacrifice my too little fishing time to expiriment with WD-40 but the little scientist in me wants to try someday.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

When fish are stressed they emit a compound called anniss. "not sure spelling", you can buy at bass pro shop. I live in the south, THEY! do NOT! let us use blue gill for bait. I know people ticketed for this! "wd40- water deterent-40 TH. try".