Have you seen this e-mail scam?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Got an email from the "Internal Revenue Service" indicating that I qualified for an additional $620.00 refund. All I have to do is click the link in the email and enter my Filing Status, Social Sec. number and date of birth, Full Name,
Address, phone number and the debit card where the refund is to be deposited.

Wow, how cool! Free Money!

You don't think they are going to take money out of my debit card account, do you?????

Last time I checked, the IRS will only deposit money into checking or savings accounts. Not debit cards! LOL!!!

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Have you seen this e-mail scam?

This is legit!!! I will also need another major credit card # and your mother's maiden name. Once again...this is legit. Funds will transfer faster if you simply PM me the info.

Thank you,
IRS
:D

greasemonkeyjmj

Petty Officer 1st Class

i dont know why some people cant get a job like the rest of us, and stop trying to think up ways to scam the working folks out of their hard earned money. but i just wonder how many people would be crazy enough to actually respond to the letter that you recieved.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I wonder how the IRS got my email address when I never sent it to them. I guess they know everything.....

:D

I wish there was some way to LOCATE some of the scammers in person. I would like to "deliver" to them something in person. Most folks dont know that once you have a persons mothers maiden name you can order by mail for just several dollers a NEW CERTIFIED LEGAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE. I wonder how many have done it.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The email is fairly slick. Here it is... I'm sure lots of people will fall for it.

irsscam.jpg

captquest

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They even make websites to look like your banks home page. Then ask to verify your info to correct a mistake or update your account, c'mon. The IRS will never contact you by phone or email and ask for info. Nor will a bank institute or credit card co. Well you know a credit card co. trying to collect is capable of anything. Generally speaking they won't. Microsoft will never contact you for info either. I hate these old scams, like the little girl dying of cancer and for every email you send they donate a quarter, all lies and crap to generate email addresses. And if you don't want more email from us click here, yea now you confirmed the email is good. More spam!
Make sure your provider has a filter, most do now. And keep AVG running it's email scanner.
On this subject check out snopes.
Are those emails about Obama and Palin true? check here http://snopes.com/

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The sad thing is hundreds of people will probably fall for it

mthieme

Captain

I'll have to show this one to the Nigerian I work with.
We tease the heck out of him all the time about email scams.

pduquette

Ensign

Hey , I dont have to worry 'bout that ---Morgan/stanley just lost a whole bunch of their customer info so now there giving me FREE SUPER DUPER credit protection !!!!!:eek: Those bad guys will NEVER get through that....:p Yea right! What a great F****in year!!:mad: Too bad , nasty scammers my credit score is so low you'd only help me up!!!!:eek:

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

The sad thing is hundreds of people will probably fall for it

Sad thing is, 100s if not 1000s do. That's why people do it. For every 100,000 that get blocked and ignored, one grabs the attention of the naive person or a senior who believes it and next thing you know, their accounts are empty.

As pretty as these emails are, move your mouse over the links or the graphics. You'll notice the URL rarely indicates the bank's true URL. Just a quick check. That and the fact that your bank or gov't will never ask for that info via email.

mscher

Lieutenant

Sad thing is, 100s if not 1000s do. That's why people do it. For every 100,000 that get blocked and ignored, one grabs the attention of the naive person or a senior who believes it and next thing you know, their accounts are empty.

As pretty as these emails are, move your mouse over the links or the graphics. You'll notice the URL rarely indicates the bank's true URL. Just a quick check. That and the fact that your bank or gov't will never ask for that info via email.

A very good tip!

I have all but given up on clicking on email links to financial sites, including eBay.

It's just safer to manually go the the sites and logon.

puddle jumper

Captain

My son got a phone call yesterday that was just like that email. The guy was blunt ,Wanted his credit card and debit card numbers. The catch was he would get all of his credit debt interest lowered. Ya right. The funny thing was this so called company was in Idaho.My son lives in BC.