1999 Mercruiser 5.7 Reversed Poles No Spark

sjayjock

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1999 Mercruiser 5.7 L V-Drive. I have two batteries and last weekend I ran my stereo so long that I drained the batteries. I jumped the boat and made it back to the dock. I noticed that the boat was riding sluggish and would not push over 30mph, but I assumed the batteries were low. Tested batteries and one went bad so I replaced it. When hooking up the batteries my buddy reversed the poles and tried to start the boat.
Now when starting the boat the starter cranks and cranks but no start. I replaced the coil, and tested voltage at starter slave selunoid, coil, distributor, circuit breaker, and plug/wire coming out of the coil into the distr. and found 12 V everywhere. I bought a spark tester and attempted to test for spark at main plug into dist. and got no spark. I opened the distributor and saw that it was turning but saw no spark there either.

I dont know if this is meaningful but the circuit breaker is a red button and it is extended all the way out and is hard as a rock and will not move or push in, non-the-less I still found 12v at both connections there.

I found a diagram online that I followed with each symptom listed above and it suggested to replace the ignition module. I did not want to just start throwing parts at the motor without any guidance. Please advise.

sjayjock

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1999 Mercruiser 5.7 Reversed Poles No Spark

Yes, 12 V to both sides. and 12 V at the end of the main plug / wire going into the distributor, but when I put the test plug in and turn the key no spark??

Uraijit

Banned

Sorry, I re-read your post, and saw that you'd already checked the coil.

Try disconnecting the wire between the negative side of the coil, and the distro. Put the multimeter to continuity/ohms.

Crank the engine over. Are you getting a pulse?

sjayjock

Seaman Apprentice

My coil has a neg., a pos. and the main transfer wire only, which one should I check on ohms and what should I look for? And what will it mean? What do you think of the replacement ignition module? could that be burnt out and possibly be the problem? I have also read that poeple replace their condensers. I'm familiar with all other parts of the ignition process except those so I am not sure where they fit in or do. Thanks.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Reverse polarity has fried something in the ignition system, either the ignition amplifier or the sensor... Use the flow chart in the manual to determine which...

Manual can be downloaded here :

Service Manual #24 GM Small Block V8 1998- 2001
http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/mnetdata/SERVICE/CRUISER/Servmanl/24/24covr1.pdf
It's 12.6Mb so give yourself a bit of time to download (especially if you're on dial-up), and start looking at page 91...

Chris..........

Uraijit

Banned

Sorry, I was thinking you had an older vintage, without electronic ignition. Sounds like you might have cooked an ignition module. Use the manual that Achris posted to do a diagnostic.

sjayjock

Seaman Apprentice

I have printed manual but the page numbers are noted 1b-1..1c-50.. ect. Please advise as to which page you are referring to. Thank you.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Page 91 refers to the Adobe Acrobat page at the bottom of the screen (page 91 of 895) In the manual, it's page 1C-9.

sjayjock

Seaman Apprentice

I ran the tests and:
I have 12V at pos Ignition COil
I have 12 V at WHT/RED into distributor
-I attempted a spark test with a tool that grounds and installs into the end of the high-tension lead... but saw no spark.
Installed a new coil... Still no spark.

The Diagram suggests replacing the ignition module.

Where can this be found? Is this something that I can just plug in/install? Or does it need to be done by a professional? Please advise as to how I would go about installing a new module and where to find it. And also if you believe that this could in fact be the issue. Thank you.

achris

I believe your module is screwed to the side of the distributor... Easy job to replace...Just make sure you use heatsink compound.. White goo on the back of the module... Buy it at your local electronics shop....

Chris..........

sjayjock

Seaman Apprentice

So it is simply a plug in devise that requires no calibration. After reading my response to the test, is this a component that would hinder spark at the tension lead into the distributor?

I see that there are numerous ignition modules for a mercruiser 5.7. How do I determine which is correct for me? Part number?

Any other guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

sjayjock

Seaman Apprentice

Can anyone advise to how I can determine what part or part number ignition module I need for a 1999 Mercruiser 5.7 V-Drive? And if you read above posts, if they believe that this is a necessary change. I do not want to just start throwing parts and money at the problem with out guidance.

I read an article online stating that it could be:

A bad condensor - I dont know what that is or does?
A faulty **** interuptor switch on the shift plate
A shorted Tachometer

Could any of these be ruled out based on my findings thus far? Thank you.

sjayjock

Seaman Apprentice

I went out to the boat this afternoon and searched for the ignition module and could not find it. I have viewed the part online. Nothing was attached to the distributor. Where else could it be located? Is it possible that I do not have one or it is built into the distributor? I am confused... Please help? :confused:

Serial number on the boat is : L305080

achris

Can you post some photos? The ignition module could also be attached to the the port exhaust elbow.

sjayjock

Seaman Apprentice

I researched the Serial number L305080 The Mercruiser engine is:

350 MAG MPI SKI (GEN+) GM350 V-8 1998 and up

I found a picture of the Ignition system and it has no Ignition Module? Now I am really confused :confused:

The boat will crank and crank but not start. I have followed the chart with a volt meter and found 12V everywhere needed, but am not getting a spark when testing the high tension cable lead into the distributor out of a new ignition coil even though I am registering 12V out of the cable... Can someone Please Help Me. Why is the boat not starting.

Don S

I found a picture of the Ignition system and it has no Ignition Module? Now I am really confused

That is because you never once mentioned it was MPI.
Every thing posted prior to this post is now usless and means nothing.
We have now jumped into MPI territory.
You have the manual, better start reading.

achris

If this looks like your distributor, then the ignition module is #9, inside the dissy...

attachment.php

Chris........

Attachments

• 350mag Dissy.jpg
    350mag Dissy.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0

Don S

His SN used the TB5 Chris, the EST was from 0L304599 and below.

achris

His SN used the TB5 Chris, the EST was from 0L304599 and below.

Ahh... My parts listing cuts out at 1998...