Boat steering wheel pulls while accelerating

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer
I test drove a boat over the weekend. We were on a small lake, max depth ~10', Shallow lake. The boat is 17'6" welded aluminum with suzuki 60hp 4 stroke motor (~300hrs), both year=2001. Boat weighs ~1000 dry. Anyhow, I noticed that while accelerating the steering wheel would swing clockwise around in a circle causing the boat the make a u turn. Note that my hands are not on the steering wheel at this time. This would occur when the rpm was between 3k-4k. I estimate the speed was ~20mph. There was a slight breeze ~5-10mph but I don't think this was the issue, as I accelerated in opposite directions on the lake with the same results. At full throttle (~28mph), the boat rides straight without my hands on the steering wheel. The guy owned it for 2 years and said he recently changed out the lower impeller on the outboard per the manufacturer's recommended schedule, which is every other year. Don't know if this is true or not. Sounds like alot of maintenance, but I'm a newbie. Is this steering phenomenom normal?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Boat steering wheel pulls while accelerating

he is correct about servicing the water pump. it is good insurance, you are not going to fry your motor. what you experienced is call prop steer, or torque. there is a tab above the propeller, that is adjustable, bolt in center. if wheel pulls right, you move the back of the fin to the right. if left back to left. this helps. but in a boat you are not suppose to drive hands free. one wave hitting wrong could kill everyone on board.

ziggy

Admiral

what you experienced is call prop steer, or torque. there is a tab above the propeller, that is adjustable, bolt in center. if wheel pulls right, you move the back of the fin to the right. if left back to left.
this is a fact....

also, this tab is adjusted for one speed. in your case, wot. mine is adjusted for around 3k. if i go slower or faster than around this rpm. i still get torque steer. but at 3k it goes straight, no torque steer. so ya can readj. your tab to whatever speed you usually go and set it to that... or ya can add hydraulic steering. that eliminates torque steer all together..

http://www.marinemechanic.com/New-Folder2/trim-tab.gif

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Or you can add "No Feedback" steering.