Oil getting in Heat Exchanger

Darb Opar

Cadet
How can oil get into the heat exchanger/coolant? I just replaced the gaskets on a Crusader CH220 1983 chevy 305 cid. There is gunk in the coolant/heat exchanger that looks like oil. Could it be the heads weren't torqued right or in the wrong order? They were serviced.... I have a feeling the mechanic did;t get a good seal. Could it be the intake manifold that's not sealed? What are the possible damages that can be caused by oil gettinginto coolant? Also, what are the problem with great compression on newly serviced heads, and poor cylinders/rings etc? Lot's 'O Questions.... I know...

mthieme

Captain
Re: Oil getting in Heat Exchanger

Are you seeing water in the oil?
I have seen blowby caused by doing the heads on older motors and not touching the lower end. You would have other symptoms such as burning oil rather than leaking it. This is not too common though.
How many hours on this motor total?
Are we talking a lot of oil?
Maybe the guy was a little sloppy and just got a little in with the coolant. When you pop the intake and heads off, water and oil comes out the ports and mix. Did he drain these before disassembly?

Darb Opar

Cadet

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Actually no water is getting in the oil... The engine was bought in CT and is now in Marina Del Rey.... I don't know how many hours, but I am sure it is MANY. The problem started after the heads were put on.... I watched him put the heads on, and he did them by himself, in the boat. I am pretty sure it's the head gaskets, but they are knew... so maybe the torque was off, though he toyqued then at 65, maybe thye order was off.... he did it inside towards the outside (bolts)..

Darb Opar

Cadet

Are you seeing water in the oil?
I have seen blowby caused by doing the heads on older motors and not touching the lower end. You would have other symptoms such as burning oil rather than leaking it. This is not too common though.
How many hours on this motor total?
Are we talking a lot of oil?
Maybe the guy was a little sloppy and just got a little in with the coolant. When you pop the intake and heads off, water and oil comes out the ports and mix. Did he drain these before disassembly?

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Actually no water is getting in the oil... The engine was bought in CT and is now in Marina Del Rey.... I don't know how many hours, but I am sure it is MANY. The problem started after the heads were put on.... I watched him put the heads on, and he did them by himself, in the boat. I am pretty sure it's the head gaskets, but they are knew... so maybe the torque was off, though he toyqued then at 65, maybe thye order was off.... he did it inside towards the outside (bolts)..