1986 Mercruiser 260 Starter Problems

MERIT6419

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys I have a 1986 century 2000 18 foot open bow with a mercruiser 260 basically sbc with a staggered bolt pattern starter that has gone bad. I have been tring for days to get the starter out the bolts are very difficult to get to and must be orginal because the wont move it seems mercruiser put some wierd bolts with really long heads on them the one closest to the bellhouseing is so tight to the belhousing you cannot get a socket on it only a wrench once you get that far it is hard to get any leverage on it. I thought about taking that sides motor mount loose or off and lifting that side of the motor dont know if that will put to much stress on the transom though any thought?

D

DJ

Re: 1986 Mercruiser 260 Starter Problems

Wrong area. I will move it to: I/O troubles and repair.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Those starter bolts can be a b.... to get out. Try using a thin-wall socket and flex-head, long-handled rachet. I've actually broken two sockets pulling the starter on my previous boat. Scraped some knuckles, too. Luckily, Craftsman guarantees the sockets; unfortunately, not my fingers. If you want to pull the engine mount and shift the engine, you'll need to first pull the outdrive. Be prepared to re-align the engine afterwards. You'll need an alignment tool for that. Good luck. Hy

MERIT6419

Petty Officer 3rd Class

THANKS LBW I have done lots with lower units darn those submerged logs but only with omc's this is my first mercruiser I think persistance should pay off I will get back on it in the morning. DJ this is my first time posting and I am not sure how to change to the i/o area let me know how and I will

chiefalen

Captain

Nope im no extreme or exhalted mariner or whatever but if this post don't belong here than i would like to know what does.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nope im no extreme or exhalted mariner or whatever but if this post don't belong here than i would like to know what does.

It wasn't HERE to begin with, it was in some other forum. That's why DJ moved it.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

welcome to the world of the $1000 starter job :)

It may be easier to pull the exhaust manifold to give you better access rather than pulling the drive and lifting the engine....

2 things that ive done with success are this if you've got the tools....

1. Wiggle your arm down there with a cordless impact gun and zip the bolt off
2. apply some perfect seal to the box end of your combination wrench... wiggle your arm down there and press/glue the wrench on to the bolt then get a hammer down there and whack it.

If I cant get down there with a gun or there's no room to swing a hammer I look at pulling that manifold first.

MERIT6419

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Jason I stared at it today and got discourged only thing I could think is this thing was designed on purpose to be a dealer only repair. But it started to rain and I am doing this outside and it was getting close to time for me to go to work. One question that has been bothering me is I keep hereing guy talk about takeing the exhaust off I dont understand how this will help since the exhaust goes up then back and all starters i have taken off in the past have the two bolts that go from the bottom up and thread into the engine block is a sbc marine motor different? do the bolts through the block to a nut or something? :confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I stared at it today and got discourged only thing I could think is this thing was designed on purpose to be a dealer only repair.

What!!!! You think dealers have some magic tool or trick to get these things fixed??????
The design engineers must get a very large bonus for designing something that is impossible to work on. Us poor mechanics are the ones that pay, because (you, the customer) think we have some magic insight, when all it takes is a LOT of labor hours.

There are numerous boats out there that I have worked on that requier an engine pull for little things. like starter changes, tuneups, water pump impellers, alternators, exhaust manifolds, etc.
You haven't run into anything new, trust me.

MERIT6419

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Don,
I did not think so so its two bolts that go from the bottom up into the block just like a regular car starter. they simply are more difficult to get to. That sounds like what I thought. there is a little remote solinoid that the s wire goes to if that had gone bad that would not cause the starter not to engage but only spin would it?

MERIT6419

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK guys I know this is real cheesey but I wanted some way to use my boat for the rest of the season and fix it right this winter when I have more time to work on it. So I bought a remote solinoid kit from summit racing there part # is sum-g1750 put that in but the cable that went down to the starter from the remote solinoid i hooked to the bottom large terminal the one that supplies the juice to the starter motor itself. then hooked a small metal bracket (it came in the kit) to the top large terminal and the S terminal. Then I hooked up a starter push button switch " I drilled a hole in my dash and put it next to the key" I used 10 gauge wire for that switch. So I push the button and hold it in " that engages the bendix " and turn the key. Not pretty but it works. I got the idea from some tree equipment that i use where you have to push a button to override the low oil pressure kill switch to start it. Well there it is now its your turn to let me know if it is a ok quick fix or a really stupid idea.:D:eek: