used boat

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Does anyone besides me see this as a good buy. Not been able to contact the owner as yet but a lot less than what I have been finding.
Also, how are the engine hours monitored? Kind of a newbee question, but none of my motors has had a feature to track hours.
As always, thanks guys.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/826279476.html

reelfishin

Captain
Re: used boat

I am always skeptical when I see things like that. There's usually more to it than they are letting on.

It is possible to add a simple hour meter to any boat, it would read the amount of time that either the alternator circuit was putting out voltage or the amount of time the key was on, depending on how it was installed.

I have hour meters in two of my boats wired into the charging circuit, thus it only registers when the motor is running. I use them more to calculate fuel usage than to track motor usage. It does help me keep track of maintenance though.

I'd insist on a lengthy sea test and a good thorough mechanical checkout.

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agreed, I am no expert but a quick Google tells me that boat is a 18-20k boat.The ones I looked at for that price (18-20k) had a 200 hp motor but I dont think a difference in 50 hp is a 10k price cut! I hope for you all is well and you get a steal on it, just careful not to get scammed.

cordell

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it sounds like a sweet deal if all is up and up. compression & spark check, lower lube, 30min to 1 hour test run. clear title. could just be the financial pinch, alot of us are feeling. when i sell a boat, i price it to sell, not to have a bunch of lookers.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I checked this boat out this morning, I have a sea trial set up for Saturday. Cordell, my man, you were right about the length. It is a model 2020dc, which is a 20' boat. Also, it has the Yamaha digital guage that shows the hour meter at 62 hrs, so I am assuming that is accurate. Also, I met the guy at his work (new Honda car dealership) not out in a parking lot somewhere.

For a six year old boat it is in really good shape, bottom looks really good. Very little beach rash. No other marks on the hull. No obvious transom repairs or other major work. He says the 10 yr. hull warrantee is transferable. I will check with KW on that.

He just had motor serviced, plugs and impeller, lower gear oil, fuel filters, etc.

Anyway, if the sea run goes well, I am ready to pull the trigger! :)

These are factory specs. http://www.keywestboatsinc.com/boats/2020dc.html

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

If he is a car salesman he is hurting for cash. Although Hondas are selling better than most right now. This is his personnel boat right? Not a trade in from the lot?

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

This is his personal boat showing a 2.5 yr history from purchase. He is also selling his motor home. Says he is moving up to a bigger house with deed restrictions and he will have to store the boat and motor home.

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome! Looking good triumphrick, did you notice the specs. "No Wood-No Rot Construction" that is cool. This ensures that years and many more years down the road/river your stringer/transom will be damn near as good as the day it rolled out of the factory! And the 150 horse on the 20' footer should have plenty of get up and go...

cordell

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

That's a really awsome boat. I hope you like it. I have a 150hp on my 19ft boat and on a smooth day
I can get around 58 mph so I'm sure that you won't notice not having the 200hp too much.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I ran a Key West 186 with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke. Plenty of power, but not a speed demon. I couldn't stand and drive it, because the wheel was too low. The top of the windshield was right at eye height. Otherwise it was a nice boat.

zach103

Commander

how did it go?!?!?!?! today was the day right!?!?!

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Zack, tomorrow am about 8:00 we're supposed to meet on the water. I did post for this Saturday, but he had something come up that was understandable.

Got a compression tester, tools and am really anxious to see this baby run.

To top it all off we went to the Tampa Boat show today and that really got

me in the mood!

So, will post tomorrow afternoon with some test results. ;)

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

That hurricane gets any closer, chop will be no problem. :eek::D

zach103

Commander

well good luck.. get out there and back in before the storm gets any closer!!!!

mthieme

Captain

NADA lists the boat at $8,000-9,000 in better than average condition depending on options. Motor is another $4,500.
So depending on condition and options, it's pretty much what the boat is worth.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

mthieme, you should have learned by now on here, that NADA boat values are practically worthless. there are too many factors, involved in pricing a boat. NADA is used by bankers, in ties, that have never seen or know anything about a boat.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks TD, I too have a hard time getting others to see that NADA does not reflect the true buying or selling prices.

While looking for this boat I have had many owners show me high end nada for boats that would not make the low end. So I kept looking! Also for this boat there is an aluminum trailer, with a boot guard?! Also this boat only shows 63 hrs on the Yamaha digital guages.

We did the sea run today. Before launching we pulled plugs and checked for an even color no wetness or oily soot. Hooked up a compression gauge and all cylinders were 125-130 with no low or high readings. Checked lower unit oil plug. No metal shavings and good clean oil.

Dropped her in the water with no drama, she matches up well with the aluminum magic tilt trailer. While at the dock we tested all electrics, gps, depthfinder, lights, bilge and baitwell pumps, raw water washdown, horn and ship to shore radio. Did another radio check while offshore about three miles.

Right after launching and up to speed we encountered two bay tugs pushing a huge bow wake. Ran her up to around 30 knots and jumpedthe wake with no bangs, rattles or flying parts! The wraparound 'screen did a good job of keeping us dry. While underway the baitwell filled with water from the high speed pickup mounted nder the boat. This keeps from having to run the pump while underway. Neat feature, and one I have not had before.

Returned to dock and loading was also event free. pulled the plug and the water was negligible.

Being happy with the sea run we negotiated to an even 11K, traded some deposit money and will close the deal when the banks open on Monday. Looks like we will add another boat to our homestead. Also, almost done with fixing up the Renken, so hope she can soon change hands.

So far, another craigslist success. It took about two months, and so far when I saw what I thought was a good deal I usually was calling within the first hour or two after listing. And I kept the appointment to see the owner the same day if possible. Here's some early pics:

new key west 004 (640x480).jpg

new key west 001 (640x480).jpg

new key west 002 (640x480).jpg

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

She's home! After a little delay in payment, all was accomplished today and we now have a new boat! At least new to us.
With all the recent craigslist scam alerts, I have to admit that I was a little scepticle. It took a litlle over a week to bring the deal together and right now we could not be happier.
Time to get busy and do a little cleaning, as well as move some equipment around. Lisa Anne will be her new name!
Looks like its time to change my boat picture. I hope to post a new picture taken in the same location. :p