1958 rude not running good at low speeds

D

DJ

Re: 1958 rude not running good at low speeds

Look at your ignition coils #1. If they are cracked, they need to be replaced.

Otherwise, look at cleaning the carb (disassemble and rebuild using new kit).

Also, I would rebuild your fuel pump. Those old pumps did not like oxygenated gas (alcohol/ethanol).

sky9582029

Cadet

Look at your ignition coils #1. If they are cracked, they need to be replaced.

Otherwise, look at cleaning the carb (disassemble and rebuild using new kit).

Also, I would rebuild your fuel pump. Those old pumps did not like oxygenated gas (alcohol/ethanol).
I put a new carb kit and this unit has no fuel pump just pressurized tank

D

DJ

I put a new carb kit and this unit has no fuel pump just pressurized tank

1958-OOPS, missed that.:redface:

Look at the coils. By the way, pressurized tanks can lose their pressure. What happens when you depress the plunger, while running?

jbjennings

Captain

If you're dropping a cylinder it has to be coils or points or something else in the ignition. I'd say a coil, like DJ told you... Get ready to pull the ol' flywheel. After you fix the coils or clean the points and such, don't forget to torque the flywheel nut properly and use the proper tool to pull the flywheel. 40-45 foot-lbs. of torque on the flywheel nut.
That is if it's really dropping a cylinder. Why do you think that?
If it won't idle after you rebuilt your carb it could be you missed a passage or that your low speed mixture is improperly set. Lightly seat the mixture adj. and back it off about 1 and 1/2 turns and crank the motor up. tighten it very slowly clockwise until it begins to cough or sneeze and back off a little until it smooths out. You might also check to be sure your throttle plate in the back of the carb is just barely starting to open when the cam roller passes the little mark on the throttle cam on the armature plate.
Good luck,
JBJ

sky9582029

Cadet

my high speed setting seems to set ok but when i go to adjust the low speed like you said it does not want to respond and when irun down the lake at full speed it works good but when islow down to an idle it stalls very fast and seems at idle its on one cylinder my tank is ok i checked that out:confused:

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 58 Johnson 10 hp which is basically the same motor. I would do what all the others have said and add: "get new spark plug wires". If they are original, they 50 years old. They do fail, even if they look good, believe me I know.:D

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

What is the compression on that engine, per cylinder?

With the spark plugs removed, you should have a spark at cranking speed that will jump a 1/4" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Do you?

If the above two items check out okay, the most likely cause is some overlooked area of the carburetor. Go thru it again.

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.