12v pump for inflating towables

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
I am looking for a 12V pump for our tubes and other inflatables. I'm looking at the one in the link below and was wondering if anyone has experience withit. Our largest inflatable is a 76" diameter flat towable platform. Will this pump get the job done? Will it provide enough pressure to inflate the tube the way a towable need to be inflated??

http://www.iboats.com/Airhead_12v_Air_Pump/dm/view_id.38979

Thanks

John B

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 12v pump for inflating towables

i have been using that same pump for 2 years now with no problems .pretty fast too.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

John

In my experience I've had little luck with the 12V versions of pumps for inflatables (particularly the larger multi chamber towables) They usually take a long time and don't fill them up firm. (Most can't run more than 10-20 mins continuous so you'll be spending a fair bit of time inflating them with the 12V versions)

The Airhead pumps on iboats

http://www.iboats.com/Airhead_120v_...19885490--**********.240784332--view_id.38980

and

http://www.iboats.com/Airhead_Hi_Pr...19885490--**********.240784332--view_id.49225

these work better. I have the first one listed and it works great on my towable (10ft long by 7.5ft wide)

However, if you absolutely need 12V these won't work unless you then use a 12/110V power inverter to plug it into to.

Hope this helps.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

cmc, that the first I've seen of a 12V pump like that. There may in fact be a 12V that can do large tubes. I'll take your word for it but I'd have to agree from the initial look of it.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys. I was concerned about whether it would inflate a towable firm enough. CMC, that one you posted looks good. Thanks fellas

Rogue427

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same pump and it works very good for inflating and deflating. We have several large 2 and 3 person tubes we use it on. Sometimes we have to add a little air after the tubes been in the water because the water is a little cold.:D

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I have the same pump and it works very good for inflating and deflating. We have several large 2 and 3 person tubes we use it on. Sometimes we have to add a little air after the tubes been in the water because the water is a little cold.:D

Which one? The one in my original post, or one of the others that were suggested?

Rogue427

Petty Officer 1st Class

We have the 12v airhead pump. It is also very handy when we go to float down the river on the tubes. We can be droped off with a car and inflate them at the dropoff point. For $16 its hard to beat.:D

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

We use a cheap and cheerful 12V pump from the local hardware store. Cost us $9.95 and does a great job on the towables. If we need a little more air then I finish off with a few shots from the hand pump we have.

cmcpherson

Banned

We use a cheap and cheerful 12V pump from the local hardware store. Cost us $9.95 and does a great job on the towables. If we need a little more air then I finish off with a few shots from the hand pump we have.

This is about the only way you can inflate towables properly using the cheaper pumps because they just don't generate enough air pressure. If you are not putting enough air into the tube you are actually causing undue pressure on the cover and the PVC tube, plus they operate soooo much better when they are inflated to max pressure.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

This is about the only way you can inflate towables properly using the cheaper pumps because they just don't generate enough air pressure. If you are not putting enough air into the tube you are actually causing undue pressure on the cover and the PVC tube, plus they operate soooo much better when they are inflated to max pressure.

It does a great job on everything but the 4 man tube. I usually finish that one off with 10 shots of the hand pump. We also use the pump out of our queen size inflatable bed and frame, plugs into the main hydro and inflates really quickly.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

If it can plug into a cigarette lighter outlet it just isn't get enough juice to inflate a multi-person tube. I have also read these blow a fuses/circuit breakers on a lot of boats.

The 12V pumps that connect directly to the battery are OK, they can inflate a multiperson tube is less than 5 min. The 120V pumps are much better, but often draw over 1000 Watts to start (even if they say they only use 500, this is when they are running, it takes more to start the motor). This is a pretty big draw, and a pretty big power inverter. That said, they will inflate your tube VERY fast, my 6' tube takes only 90 seconds!.

Desjer

Recruit

I am looking for a 12V pump for our tubes and other inflatables. I'm looking at the one in the link below and was wondering if anyone has experience withit. Our largest inflatable is a 76" diameter flat towable platform. Will this pump get the job done? Will it provide enough pressure to inflate the tube the way a towable need to be inflated??

John, I have a similar looking pump to the one you posted, and also inflate a 76" flat biscuit.
Not sure about the large multi chamber tubes referred to by others, but the unit inflates my tube in a couple of minutes to a good pressure. Sometimes needs a top up after going in cold water.
Jeremy