Switching to a Macintosh computer?

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Lately I've been thinking about switching from PC to Mac. Especially after hearing about the Vista OS.

I would appreciate hearing your opinions, pro & con, about making this switch.

Thanks!

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Switching to a Macintosh computer?

Why go to Vista in the first place?

Anyway to answer your question, just make sure that whatever software you want to use is available in the Mac version. One reason why I stick with PCs.

ilmostro99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know you, or what you do on a computer, but for about 95% of the general public, I would say that YES you should absolutely switch to Mac. I had been using a PC my whole life, and was pretty good with one, but decided to make the switch almost a year ago. I don't think I will ever go back.
Pro's:
* The OS is so much more stable it is scary.
* Programs work together on a Mac instead of fighting each other as on a PC.
* There is no such thing as a program you can't run. Macs can also run windows, so if on the off chance you do come across something that isn't made for Mac, you can still run it on the Windows side.
* Start up, shut down, and opening programs is much faster on Mac.
* Macs use RAM more efficiently than PCs. Rule of thumb is that 2 gig of RAM on a Mac is equal to 3 gig on a PC.
* In my opinion, and the opinion of most people that compare the two, fit and finish is much nicer on a Mac than a PC.
* I can't speak to this personally, but in doing some research, I found that Macs tend to last much longer than PCs. Also, Windows PCs tend to "slow down" over time. I have heard that this does not happen on a Mac.
* Devices are TRUELY plug & play. i.e., all I had to do was plug in my camera and it worked instantly. No drivers to install, no configuring, no optimizing. It just worked, perfectly. Same results with my ipod, Multi-function printer, video camera, external hard drives, etc., etc.
* Dealing with music, photos, movies, etc. is SO much easier on a Mac.
* Many more reasons too numerous to mention here.

Cons:
* On laptops, speakers are better on most PCs.
* MANY more optional accessories made for PC than Mac. (though there is nothing you CAN'T get for a Mac).
* Many more software titles available for PC. (See # 3 under "Pros")
* Gaming is better on a PC.
* If you currently use a PC, there will be a slight learning curve. Well, not so much of a learning curve as it is unlearning bad habits. i.e., to completely uninstall a program, on a PC, you have to uninstall the software, perhaps go into system settings and uninstall there also, then find all DLL files in the system and delete them, then perhaps go in and repair your registry. On a Mac, just drag the program to the "Trash" and you are done.
* There are no "bargain" Macs. You can buy a $300 PC, though it is bottom of the line. You can't do this with a Mac, they don't make "bottom of the line". BUT, if you compare the prices of a PC that is equipped equally with the Mac, you will find that they are almost identical in price, and in fact, sometimes Macs are cheaper.
* Almost impossible to "home build" a Mac as you can with a PC. Yes, you can add ram, hard drives, etc. but it isn't as easy to completely build a Mac from the motherboard and case up, nor would you want to.

IMO, Macs are the only way to go for most people. If money is an issue, and all you do is check email and surf the net, one of he $300 PCs will be fine, but if you use a computer for anything else, seriously consider a mac.
BTW, I have a Macbook Pro, and I am working on a friend's PC laptop right now; they are side by side. I am amazed how much more complicated things are to do on a PC than a Mac. There is nothing that I like on the PC better than my Mac, other than built-in speakers, and I am talking about hardware, software, and Operating System.

BTW, I am NOT one of the obnoxious Mac elitists that think Steve Jobs is God. That is another "Con" for Mac, and I almost didn't buy one just because I didn't want to be lumped in with them. Now, I'm glad I got over that, because I much prefer my Mac. I have nothing against PCs, but just think, after using both, that Macs do some things a little better, and MOST things A LOT better.

Sorry for the long reply, but I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me (PM or in this thread).
Erik

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

Well,

There IS another (free) choice if you want to try it.....

I switched from Microshaft Winblows in 1999 to Linux and have never looked back.

It's all I use not for all my internet browsing, email, etc.
(I guess I should admit that I still do have an XP partition on my laptop for Quicken and Turbotax but I'm going to use TT web next year and I can do that using Firefox under Linux)

At last count there was something like 60,000 windows viruses.....there's only about 40 Linux viruses and they don't do well because of the various Linux versions.

I have settled on OpenSuse (By Novell) for my version. There are many good versions.....mostly free.

If you're even remotely interested go to http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

If I had it to do all over again I might go to MAC except I like to build my own computers. Apple very conveniently (for them) prevents that.

http://www.linux.org/

I too, will never go back.......

Cheers,

Rick

wuttja

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I work in the IT field on a web-based program that is Windows dependent. Certainly a power Windows user going back to Windows 3.1. I made the switch about 2 years ago and now have a MacBook Pro and an iMac. I run both Windows XP and Vista using software called Parallels when I need to work from home. My wife is an avid Windows user but learned how to create and maintain our personal website for family in about 5 minutes. Editing photos, music, movies, etc. is much easier in a Mac and OS X is far more stable than any Windows OS. The very first release of OS X 10.5 was buggy and I was not all too happy when I went from 10.4.x to 10.5 but after a few updates, 10.5.x is fantastic. My whole family has all switched over to Mac now and not one regrets it.
The biggest learning curve is quitting a program versus closing the window. In Mac, you have to choose 'Quit' or the program still runs in the background even though the window is closed. Also, if you get an iMac, the 'Mighty Mouse' that comes with it is annoying. Get a real mouse right away!
Just my opinion, your experience may vary.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Make the switch and don't look back.....................The wife ponied up for a Mac Book Pro a few years back......................Nice, nice machine..........runs windows based programs like clock work.......................do yourself a favor visit a Mac Book Store...............ask questions....................be specific with your needs and expectations....................the initial cost is well worth it IMHO...............no more issues with unwanted bull sheet..........adware, spyware, viruses......ect....ect................go for it. ;);):) .

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I work with PCs and Macs at my job, so I thought I'd be a good candidate to give you advice. But I see there's tons of great advice here already.

All I would add in favor of the Mac is, I didn't see anybody mention that there are virtually NO virus problems with a Mac. In theory it's possible to write a Mac OS virus, but I don't think there are any Mac viruses circulating "in the wild". That alone is huge. I am SICK and TIRED of cleaning viruses off people's PCs here (some viruses manage to disable the antivirus software and wreak havoc. PC viruses and antivirus software is a constant arms race with the virus writers seemingly always one step ahead. Usually I can track down and kill every last vestige of a virus without reformatting and reinstalling, but i had to that a couple weeks ago on one comp with a particularly pesky virus).

EDIT: I see LT sneaked in and mentioned viruses while I was typing this, and also adware and spyware, which is a good point-- those are as bad as any virus nowadays.

Other than that, I use the PC for software that either isn't on the Mac, or there's not a good compatible substitute, like MS Access or Visual Studio apps. I use the Mac for more creative stuff, like artwork in Photoshop or Illustrator, and website design.

i386

Captain

I don't know you, or what you do on a computer,

Sorry for the long reply, but I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me (PM or in this thread).
Erik

Good post!

Mike Robinson

Thank you all for your responses. We use our computer mostly for web browsing, email, photo & video editing, music and a little bit for work, (microsoft office).

* I am thinking about the switch for several reasons;

* I had a mac and liked it back in the early 90's (switched due to limitations on software availability and price)

* My wife is not intuitive when it comes to computers and thought she might do better on a Mac

* I recently had to reformat our pc due to malware (I think) that I just couldn't get rid of

Thanks again for your help, this info gives me more to think about.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

I have very limited computer skills and never owned a computer until last year and only use it for e-mail and web surfing. I bought the Mac based on it's reputation for not getting viruses and the recommendation of a co-worker. So far, it has been fine.
I generally don't believe in extended warranty's, but I purchased the Apple plan because I figured I would need help someday. I don't know if this is always the case, but I have had to call tech support 3 or 4 times with questions because I did not know how to do something or other. Each time, I have talked to a tech that was in the US or Canada and English was there primary language which made it a lot less frustrating trying to communicate. That has not been my experience with some other companies.

Philthyphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As a retired old fart who came to puters late in life and is just self taught so to speak. THANK YOU FOR A GREAT THREAD, thanks to all the posters and the more to come. I really think I want a Mac next time, for all I need to do online. Thanks again all.

Euro95

Seaman Apprentice

The virus bit of all your arguments is probably because of two things. The massive popularity of windows computers, and the people that click on things that they shouldn't click. Ads like "you are visitor number 123456! Congrats" is fake and will most likely give you a ****load of spam and maybe even more than that.

All operating systems have their own approach, mac is believed to be pretty easy to understand for someone that is totally new with it, linux is free, and windows is the most popular thus has the most support like programs.

I use windows vista with service pack 1 (much better than not updated) for basicly everything, but also use linux, and have tried osx. It all works on the same computer, cause even a mac, is a pc.

My current linux uptime is 144 days, 8 hours and 43 minutes, just to give an idea how stable it is, this computer is always doing something, serving the internet.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I don't know you, or what you do on a computer, but for about 95% of the general public, I would say that YES you should absolutely switch to Mac. I had been using a PC my whole life, and was pretty good with one, but decided to make the switch almost a year ago. I don't think I will ever go back.
Pro's:
* The OS is so much more stable it is scary.
* Programs work together on a Mac instead of fighting each other as on a PC.
* There is no such thing as a program you can't run. Macs can also run windows, so if on the off chance you do come across something that isn't made for Mac, you can still run it on the Windows side.
* Start up, shut down, and opening programs is much faster on Mac.
* Macs use RAM more efficiently than PCs. Rule of thumb is that 2 gig of RAM on a Mac is equal to 3 gig on a PC.
* In my opinion, and the opinion of most people that compare the two, fit and finish is much nicer on a Mac than a PC.
* I can't speak to this personally, but in doing some research, I found that Macs tend to last much longer than PCs. Also, Windows PCs tend to "slow down" over time. I have heard that this does not happen on a Mac.
* Devices are TRUELY plug & play. i.e., all I had to do was plug in my camera and it worked instantly. No drivers to install, no configuring, no optimizing. It just worked, perfectly. Same results with my ipod, Multi-function printer, video camera, external hard drives, etc., etc.
* Dealing with music, photos, movies, etc. is SO much easier on a Mac.
* Many more reasons too numerous to mention here.

Cons:
* On laptops, speakers are better on most PCs.
* MANY more optional accessories made for PC than Mac. (though there is nothing you CAN'T get for a Mac).
* Many more software titles available for PC. (See # 3 under "Pros")
* Gaming is better on a PC.
* If you currently use a PC, there will be a slight learning curve. Well, not so much of a learning curve as it is unlearning bad habits. i.e., to completely uninstall a program, on a PC, you have to uninstall the software, perhaps go into system settings and uninstall there also, then find all DLL files in the system and delete them, then perhaps go in and repair your registry. On a Mac, just drag the program to the "Trash" and you are done.
* There are no "bargain" Macs. You can buy a $300 PC, though it is bottom of the line. You can't do this with a Mac, they don't make "bottom of the line". BUT, if you compare the prices of a PC that is equipped equally with the Mac, you will find that they are almost identical in price, and in fact, sometimes Macs are cheaper.
* Almost impossible to "home build" a Mac as you can with a PC. Yes, you can add ram, hard drives, etc. but it isn't as easy to completely build a Mac from the motherboard and case up, nor would you want to.

IMO, Macs are the only way to go for most people. If money is an issue, and all you do is check email and surf the net, one of he $300 PCs will be fine, but if you use a computer for anything else, seriously consider a mac.
BTW, I have a Macbook Pro, and I am working on a friend's PC laptop right now; they are side by side. I am amazed how much more complicated things are to do on a PC than a Mac. There is nothing that I like on the PC better than my Mac, other than built-in speakers, and I am talking about hardware, software, and Operating System.

BTW, I am NOT one of the obnoxious Mac elitists that think Steve Jobs is God. That is another "Con" for Mac, and I almost didn't buy one just because I didn't want to be lumped in with them. Now, I'm glad I got over that, because I much prefer my Mac. I have nothing against PCs, but just think, after using both, that Macs do some things a little better, and MOST things A LOT better.

Erik

Very well articulated, Apple has far more control over the final product, That is both the hardware design and software coming together as one final product ......but note that is what you are paying for..

MS uses more a universal software package making it adaptable to thousands of hardware combination's.....anyone out there can assemble there own PC with infinte combination's of drive type's.... cpu's.... video cards.... ram types or size.... That is it's strength and weakness..:eek:.... and any Comp mfg can build one with little expertise..and the end product usally comes with so many uneeded program's it's almost insane..and that a big problem generally.

Apple deliver's a product that is clean and funtional...not a whole lot of flexabilty...but if your just browsing the net or doing some spread sheet's or word processing....They are extreme over kill but one very solid and nice looking package..

Typing and posting at 3.GHz.........:D

Pierutrus

Typing and posting at 3.GHz.........:D

Wouldn't that be "on" a 3 Giga hz?
Cause if your posting AT 3 giga hz, what does that cost/available?:eek:
Or you work for the gov.......and you might wanna watch your tracks...:D

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Wouldn't that be "on" a 3 Giga hz?
Cause if your posting AT 3 giga hz, what does that cost/available?:eek:
Or you work for the gov.......and you might wanna watch your tracks...:D

I am not going to admit to anything...:p

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Why go to Vista in the first place?
Anyway to answer your question, just make sure that whatever software you want to use is available in the Mac version. One reason why I stick with PCs.

Sorry OldePharte, This is NOT a concern.

If a comparable ( I mean superior ) Mac version is not available. you can always load Win XP or Win Vista onto your Mac, and run your "special program."

Yes, you can load multiple operating systems on your Intel bases Mac computer. OS X, Win Vista, Win XP, Linix, etc.
You can even run them simultaneously by using the "PARALLELS" program.

And if you need to hookup to a pc network, your Mac will do that too.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'm on my 3rd Mac.
Started with a G4 MacBook,, sold it to my nephew for his college days.

I picked up a MacMini for the house, still have it. Paid $599 for it 2.5 years ago, current selling prices on ebay is $350, maybe I will list it and use the cash for more fishing lures. :)

For some reason, I just bought a Mac Pro desktop - 2 dvd burners and 2 QUAD-CORE 3 Ghtz processors. I can now out compute CITI Bank !! :)

Girlfriend just bought a MacBook Pro.

Mom has a Mini.

The 2 nephews and their wives have 5 Macs between them.

What any new Mac owners needs, is a user reference manual, like "The Missing Manual".

And if you are going to be using the iLife
( itunes-idvd-imovie-iphoto-garageband-frontrow-ichat-ical-iweb )
software for more than just the basics, pick up a manual for them too.

mainexile

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bought my first Mac, an SE, in the early 80's and used it in my writing business for several years. Changed occupations and worked with PC's for about twenty years. This spring, I bought a Macbook Pro, and haven't regretted it at all. The only downside I've come across is that there is no longer available a Mac version of Windows Media Player, which is needed for many streaming audio sites. Other than that, it's a far superior machine.

Windows Vista - the best advertisement around for Macs.