97 115HP trim/tilt guage or sensor problem?

Joey805

Cadet
I have a 1997 Merc 2 stroke 115HP. My trim guage shows the motor as being down when I have it all the way down, but the minute I trim it up just a tiny bit, the guage needle slams and shows the motor as being all the way up.

Do I have a bad sensor or bad guage?

I'm not even sure where the sensor is on these things.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Joey

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 97 115HP trim/tilt guage or sensor problem?

Joey, I am not familar with the Mercs, but my johnny has a lever in between the motor and the transom bracket. The motor lowering or raising, moves the lever up or down. The Merc sender has to be around the tilt point of the motor.

FWIW - My Johnny's tilt gauge was pretty inaccurate as well. I replaced it with a water pressure guage. You can easily tell by feel and sound what the tilt of the motor is.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 97 115. Raise the motor. Now look at the right side by the motor bracket. The part attached to the motor, not the transom.You will see a round block about 2 inches in diameter and about an inch tall with a small wire coming off. That is the trim sensor.

Joey805

Cadet

I have a 97 115. Raise the motor. Now look at the right side by the motor bracket. The part attached to the motor, not the transom.You will see a round block about 2 inches in diameter and about an inch tall with a small wire coming off. That is the trim sensor.

OK cool thanks. Any idea how to test if its bad or my guage is?

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

Here is a screen shot of the testing procedure for the sensor.

Attachments

• Screen 00006.jpg
    Screen 00006.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 0