DP-D Trim Cylinder Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
1993 Volvo 7.4 ltr. with a DP-D Sterndrive

I am following the instructions on pages 142-144 of a DP-C manual provided to me by Don S. I am a little bit confused about where the trim cylinder pin is supoposed to fall out during trim cylinder removal process. As best I can tell there is NO opening on the exterior of the boat for this pin to protrude, therefore it must be inside the boat. Yes?

I have located the locking bolt for the trim cylinder pin inside my motor compartment. Although near impossible to reach I have no other choice short of pulling the motor out. The locking bolt is located on the interior sterndrive mounting plate. Right beside it is a cylindrical, recessed and flush mounted object about a 1/2" in diameter. Is this the actual pin that holds the trim cylinder on?

The manual states a "warning" as follows on page 144: IMPORTANT! The transom must have cutouts called for on the transom template to allow sufficient clearance for the pins to be removed. If the cutouts are not made, the transom shield must be removed from the boat to enable trim cylinder pin removal.

If the cylindrical object in the motor compartment that I described above is NOT the trim cylinder pin, I am in mess! There is no way these pins can fall to the exterior of the boat becasue it's solid metal on both sides of the pin.

I was going to attach photos, but I can't even figure out how to do that. I can email them if anyone would like to reference what I am describing.

Thanks!
Keith

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: DP-D Trim Cylinder Removal

I am a little bit confused about where the trim cylinder pin is supoposed to fall out during trim cylinder removal process. As best I can tell there is NO opening on the exterior of the boat for this pin to protrude, therefore it must be inside the boat. Yes?

Yes, it's inside the boat, and yes, it's in an almost impossible position.

Yes the pins come out inside the boat, the bolt just sticks over the edge of it to keep it from coming out.
There is also an oring on the pin, along with corrosion. About 75% of the boats I try to pull the pins out of (all salt water boats BTW) using the special tool that you hit with a hammer, doesn't work. Then I pull the engine and the transom shield and do battle with an Oxy/Act Torch and a slide hammer to pull them out. Then some cleaning, painting, new transom shield and put it back together. No problem.

And this thread should help you with pictures,
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=193245
I know exactly what you are dealing with. I can usually twist (and hurt myself) to get that stop bolt out and retrieve the pin when it comes part way out (if it does) and reinstall it.
Isn't being a boat mechanic fun :D

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don S.,

Once again, thank you! It's dark outside and I'm worn out so I'm calling it a day. I go back to work tomorrow for 24 hours. So, I'll get back on this project Thursday morning. Look for an update from me sometime that day. Also, please pray that I don't have to pull this engine out becasue THAT is definately beyond my know how and available tools. Plus, I've already over extended my question limit. ;)

Hey, one last thing, if all goes well I'd like to sandblast this sterndrive before painting and reasembling. Is that a good idea?

Thank you!
Keith

Don S

Hey, one last thing, if all goes well I'd like to sandblast this sterndrive before painting and reasembling. Is that a good idea?

Not really a good idea. Others have, but they never report problems. There is just no way you can keep all the abrasive out of water passages, and oil seals.

Don S

PS: Order that special hammer tool to remove the pin, tonight. When it does work, it's a godsend.

DISREGARD, that 884978 tool now costs $125 :eek: :eek:

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, I'll follow your advice. It's been dead on and gotten me a lot father than I would have without it.

Also, after removing the sterndrive, I noticed on the port side there is the screw with the grounding cable, but on the starboard side, the hole is open (no screw or plastic plug). I am afraid THAT is the pin that's going to give me the most problems. Please keep praying!

Honestly, if I had a way to lift the motor out I would attempt the removal anyway just so I can service some of the motor parts as well as the bilge pump that cannot be replaced without removing the motor.

Ugh! I dread Thursday!

Be safe!
Keith

pantjo

Cadet

Here are some pics of the trim cylinder dismantled.
They are hard to open but using a blow torch and a standard tools with 2 pins not 4 (could not find one) I managed to open them.
Burned them for about a minute or so.
Oil inside is something to be taken care of. Mine had water pollution so I was theoritically safe.
Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.JPG