Gas Dripping,,Is there a vent?

m350

Cadet
Got my 16' Lowe w/ 40 Evenrude home ,,,had it out in the Pond for some test runs,,,nice little boat,,,took some of the family for a ride,,,3 adults 2 small boys,,getting hard on the throttle,,seems to pull good,,all works well,,then I noticed gas dripping from the line where it attach's to the engine,,with engine off,,open the gas cap on the (like new removable metal tank) and it has some pressure relief,,,gas stop's dripping,,,,close the cap tight,,starts dripping again,,open cap slightly(1/2 turn),stops dripping,,OK what gives here!

Are these outboard gas tanks (removable ones) vented somehow?
Pressure keeps building in the tank ?
it was almost dark,,thunder & lightning was upon us,,did'nt get much of a chance to look at it,,,,,,these tanks have to be vented somewhere ???

thanks,,,,Mark

PS, I cant seem to upload my pics,,This sites max 97.7 KB,,my pics are 98-100 KB,,,anyway to Get-R-Done ??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gas Dripping,,Is there a vent?

reduce the size of the pic, or post it to photobucket,, and insert a link here. what tank, plastic,or metal? are you using a OEM Johnson/Evinrude hose, or a aftermarket hose? model # of your motor?

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gas Dripping,,Is there a vent?

All tanks except around '59 and older need and should have a vent. As a general rule, if it has a fuel pump, it must have a vent. Rick