swaying best way to correct it

edge710

Cadet
I have a 24 cc probably 2500 to 3000 pounds? being pulled by a half ton gmc. It tows fine upto fifties once past seventy its only a matter of time before she starts to swing usually down hill. It doesnt seem to squat the truck at all. Not really sure if I should try moving the boat forward or back on the trailer. It is a tandem trailer. Any help would be appreciated

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: swaying best way to correct it

I think I'd try moving the boat forward, to put more weight on the tow vehicle. It's been my experience that trailers with little tounge weight are worse about swaying.

DutchMerc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It seems like the weight i to far back. I think you should move the boat forward on the trailer. You could try to put some ballast in the front of the boat first, just to see what happens....

Mn Warrior

Seaman Apprentice

Try adding some weight to the front of the trailer and see if it quits swaying, start with adding three or four bags of water softener salt if you have a water softener. I had to do this after picking up a trailer from out of state and it worked great. If this takes care of your problem, then move the boat forward on the trailer, if you do not have the room to move the boat forward, you may have to move the axles back. Good luck..

Hit It

Seaman

Another thing to look at is the angle of the trailer tongue to the hitch. The trailer should ride so that it is level. If your hitch is too high or too low and the trailer is not riding level, you could have some sway problems. I had this problem with a utility trailer that would sway pretty bad once I got up to highway speed, but once I dropped down my hitch level so that the trailer rode level the swaying problem pretty much went away.

j_martin

Admiral

The only 2 things that cause swaying are low tongue weight and trailer wheel alignment. Most of the time it is not enough tongue weight.

You need about 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue, in this case about 250 - 300 lbs. If the truck won't take it, it's too small for the job.

Less tongue weight allows any bump on a trailer wheel to effectively pickup and move over the rear of the tow vehicle, thus setting up the misallignment that makes it sway. It is then forced back the other way, etc. etc. Tongue weight allows the tow vehicle to control the tendency.

hope it helps
John

Bondo

Staff member

I think I'd try moving the boat forward, to put more weight on the tow vehicle.

Ayuh,.... Exactly,..... 10%/ 15% of the gross towed weight at the hitch....

woosterken

Lieutenant

SLOW DOWN!!!! would help to!

woosterken

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Time to get the bathroom scales out and check your tounge weight. 10% minimum is about the mark. 15% tops.
Keeping to the speed limit especially downhill will also minimise the tail wagging the dog.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

let me know where you will be towing, so i can avoid the area. do you have trailer brakes?

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

All the above plus make sure your tire pressures are dead on. You really might want to get your rig weighed also. A 24" CC @ 3000 lbs.? I think you may be carrying a lot more weight than you think (unless Carolina Skiff).

edge710

Cadet

Wow thanks for all the help. I definatly have room to move it up a bit and will try that next time I float it out. Just checked she is 3400 dry. That is before we load the cooler for a trip out. Hey sometimes you have to make up some time on those long trips. Live in upstate New York and make frequent trips to the coast and Great lakes. But keep it mostly in Great Sacandaga Reservoir. Big thanks to who ever invented the rumble strips on the side of the highways.