First Boat

fjblair

Cadet
I have a chance to buy a 1995 Four Wins Horizon 200 with low hours. It has an OMC/302. The seller is asking $9,500. Assuming the boat was sound and well maintained and I could by for a fair price, etc is this a good boat for a first timer? Loaded question I know.

Thanks

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: First Boat

the boat is a good boat.....4 winns are a reputable boat.....

what kind of drive is on the boat....(leg)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

and welcome to i boats :)

this is a great place for everything boating....if you hang out on these forums for a while.......you find a wholoe new group of friends.....and become a better boater

LEKNIGHT

Cadet

ive always heard to buy nothing with a OMC since they are not reliable, are out of business, and hard to find parts for.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thats why i asked.......but i thought 95 was to new for an omc drive......

if it is an omc drive in it......pass on the boat........it will be fine till you need parts or repait......then your hooped.....a volvo is best then merc.....the motors are all ford/chev....so it doesnt make much difference in the motor section.....there are a few nuances......just a few lemon motors....but mostly good....

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

95 could be/should be equipped withe the SX Cobra (Volvo drive w/OMC badging) if it is nothing wrong with that set up.......;):)

carpaediem123

Seaman Apprentice

95 could be/should be equipped withe the SX Cobra (Volvo drive w/OMC badging) if it is nothing wrong with that set up.......;):)

I agree. If it has an OMC drive--take a pass. If it is the Volvo drive, take a stab! My Liberator has an OMC cobra outdrive. So far it has performed flawlessly, however I check the fluid before every use (for level, water, and metal particulates) and the day it goes out, it will cost half of my boats book value to replace.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Contrary to what people have been lead to believe, OMC had a great design in their drive system. The design is reliable, durable and better than Mercruiser in many ways. Finding parts is more difficult as they have been out of production for many years. The Volvo SX was actually a joint effort between OMC and Volvo. I think there are even some parts that interchange between the Cobra and SX.

They are good drives. Replacement parts are less readily available and sevice may be harder to come by than Mercruiser.

fjblair

Cadet

Thanks folks, it is an OMC Cobra. Maybe if it was $5,000 :D. I think for my first boat I will steer clear of OMC although I would probably not have any trouble.

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can (and should) look at boats more in the $5-8k range. Plenty out there from mid to late 1990s in 19-22' range and nothing usually wrong with early 1990s if well cared for and not in salt water. Especially if you walk up with a wad of cash. Whatever you do, follow all the advice and have it surveyed and engine-checked by mechanic. Good advice. Smart money spent.

Think really carefully about how you plan to use the boat (again, see posted advice) and your tow vehicle if you plan to trailer. A 20' glass boat will be very heavy and require something more sturdy than most SUVs.