Lake scum

GlasV162

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lake scum

Simple Green works great, and it's (so they say) safer for the environment. I spray it full-strength on the hull. While it soaks in, I pour some more SG in a 5 gal. bucket and add water. Using a long-handle car-wash brush, I can clean all the slime off the bottom, leaving only a slight stain right at the waterline. For that I use a small amount of the oxalic acid hull cleaner.

angler53

Seaman

50/50 water and vinegar. Spray it on fiberglass and wipe it off. Also good for removing water stains. Also good with 0000 steel wool to make old glass (not Plexiglas) look new.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Like IRV964 says, Slimey Grimey works exceptionally well. We get it at a couple of places around here (Maryland), including a local hardware store, a mine supply company and, of course, marinas. Expensive! It is nothing more than Oxalic acid, which can be purchased at West Marine or Boaters World for less. The brown slime is algae, therefore organic, and will literally melt away. I mix 1/2 cup in hot water and use a garden sprayer to coat the hull. Let it sit for ~ 20 min! Next I go over the hull with detergent and a brush to get the remaining junk, mostly oil and grime.

Probably should wear some kind of mask... causes some coughing.

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like IRV964 says, Slimey Grimey works exceptionally well. We get it at a couple of places around here (Maryland), including a local hardware store, a mine supply company and, of course, marinas. Expensive! It is nothing more than Oxalic acid, which can be purchased at West Marine or Boaters World for less. The brown slime is algae, therefore organic, and will literally melt away. I mix 1/2 cup in hot water and use a garden sprayer to coat the hull. Let it sit for ~ 20 min! Next I go over the hull with detergent and a brush to get the remaining junk, mostly oil and grime.

Probably should wear some kind of mask... causes some coughing.

Here is a great link with a video attachment,(bottom right) I think once you use it once you will never go back to anything else?...............Irv964
http://slimygrimy.ca/

chrisg

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry gcboat, it's actually Canadian Tire. That's more of an endearing nickname it earned (much like Wally World for Walmart)

I'm trying to think of a US equivalent (sells sporting goods, housewares, tools and even automotive) but I can't of the top of my head.

Call it what it is, and I have not found any equivalent down here either. The joke is "when your car gets old, it will have more Canadian tire parts then original". ( Can't recall the Canadian Tire brand name)

And ya, I thought this thread was about me :eek:

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Gosh! The video is (almost) embarassing. Honest, I'm not a shill for this product! This is just the way I've done it for years. But, hey... it works great!

Honest!!!