All aluminum inflatables?

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
Seems to be a boat that doesn't know what to be. Kind of cool though.

Anyone "down under" ever see one of these? or know anything about them?

The company is called Ocean Craft.

OCEAN%20CRAFT%205200%20Chinook%20boat%20TOHATSU%2050HP%20motor%20and%20trailer%20package%20deal2007_02280204rossco.jpg

132-3276_IMGs.jpg

gary6boa.jpg

kooga4c.jpg

a79bcs.jpg

jimyoung

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: All aluminum inflatables?

Looks to me like they "reversed " the pontoon boat concept.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Looks to me like they "reversed " the pontoon boat concept.

I kind of thought that too. It is like they morphed a pontoon and an inflatable into one boat.

Considering the work involved they really don't seem to be very expensive. The prices are competitive with a good inflatable, cheaper than most RIB's, and they aren't all that heavy.

Maybe the were just afraid of the sharks, or got tired of patching and inflating.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Seems much safer than your standard aluminum jon boat, for sure. I would wonder what kind of punishment they could take. Inflatables can take a pretty good beating and keep going because of their flexibility. They are probably better as a standalone dinghy than as a tender for a larger boat as most people feel more comfortable knowing that the inflatable will bounce off and not clang into their larger boat.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Seems much safer than your standard aluminum jon boat, for sure. I would wonder what kind of punishment they could take. Inflatables can take a pretty good beating and keep going because of their flexibility. They are probably better as a standalone dinghy than as a tender for a larger boat as most people feel more comfortable knowing that the inflatable will bounce off and not clang into their larger boat.

I was pointed to them in another forum, by a guy using them in some white water in Aussie land, so I would assume they would be tough, but dentable, and better than glass.

I think they really concentrate on boat clients looking for something tough, light, and not affected by the heavy UV rays down under.

I don't see them making any big waves in the tender market either.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

mmm very interesting, I don't wanto know what a hassle it must be when that aluminium start to crack on the welds .....

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

mmm very interesting, I don't wanto know what a hassle it must be when that aluminium start to crack on the welds .....

My experiences with aluminum and welds, is if they are done right they will never crack. If the strain on the material is such that the material will crack, it will do so at a non-welded point. It is like a healed broken bone. It may break again, but never at the same point. This is all based on the weld being done professionally in the first place though.

Years of welded aluminum framed dirt bikes, which take a beating, prove that there is no reason to shy away from this material.

You only have to look to our northern neighbors in Canada, Alaska, and here in Europe, in the Scandinavian countries, to see that with commercially used guide boats for harsh environments, aluminum is often the material of choice. The “mega horsepowered” white water jet boats used for running up river also often use welded aluminum hulls.

I have seen heavily used pontoon work boats that are over 40 years old and show no signs of welding problems.

I probably should have posted this in the pontoon section, but from a design and style they fit more here. If you are brave enough to try something new, I guess you have to expect negitive feedback from traditionalist.

erikgreen

Captain

Check out www.acbboats.com... similar concept in floatation, but looks better :)

Likewise, check out the SAFE boats that the USCG is using now... inflatable type boats, but with foam chambers instead of air.

Erik

bayman

I was thinking of ACB as well. It seems like they really grew in popularity over the past several years due to the multiple chamber concept which makes these boats much more difficult to sink. Most of their boats are fairly large though.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Check out www.acbboats.com... similar concept in floatation, but looks better :)

Likewise, check out the SAFE boats that the USCG is using now... inflatable type boats, but with foam chambers instead of air.

Erik

Hi Erik,

I could really go for one of these two, a winter and a summer boat.

oboats3.jpg

bul1_large.jpg

although maybe ...
1.jpg

and this one for duck hunting ...
camo_2.jpg

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Maybe something like this for winter trips with family and friends ...
FLY_333_2797.sized.jpg

and one of these for everyday use ...
IMG_7218.jpg

CBL_IMG_7207.sized.jpg

I think I will have to win the lotto first though.

I do like the ideas that come from the far north and the far south when it come to lifespan, durability, and rough weather use. I would also never have to sand fiberglass again!

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Found some more of these, this company builds inflatables with 6hp electric hub motors that drive the wheels. For their commercial and military versions the use aluminum tubes on some of them.

image1.jpg

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

bayman

Can you imagine how short the lines at the ramp would be...