Need help finding parts! - PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer
I am looking for the ignition module plug connections for the 5.7 Alpha Thunderbolt V Ignition Module (861253-1). Can't seem to find a part number anywhere, I would assume they would come together as a kit.

For some reason my ignition module is leaking some sort of fluid out and is causing my module to short out while running on the water. I can pull the connectors off and a liquid will run out of the connectors and the module. I have cleaned the corrosion off and put dielectric grease on the connections, however, the water or some liquid still seems to make its way into the connectors and short out the ignition.

Therefore, I am looking to replace the module and the connectors together.

Anybody ever heard of fluid leaking out of the modules?

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need help finding parts!

Ayuh,....

It's probably a Mercruiser Only part....

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer

Never heard of cooling oil in the ignition module. Whatever it is that is leaking out is causing the pins to corrode with this blue/green cake after only an hour of cleaning them off. I was out on the river all day Saturday and the engine would cut out and miss about every hour or so. I'd pull the connections each time and the corrosion was there. I would clean the connections off, put them back together and the engine would run perfect for another hour or so and then repeat the cleaning process.

I found some connections with a module conversion kit at http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MER807264A01&Store_Code=eBasicPower&search=module&offset=0&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=%20%26srch_code%3D1%26srch_name%3D1%26srch_mfg%3D1 however, the smaller connector only has one wire coming out of it, mine has two or three I believe for the knock sensor wire (purple/white).

Is it definitely the ignition module that is bad or just the connections?

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer

Talking with a local dealer, and he states that the connectors are part of the wire harness kit ($225):eek:.

Looks like I might be trying to clean those connections really well....any tips?

Anybody ever bought a wire harness kit that could tell me whether the ICM connections are in it?

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Bubba,

Is there anything electrically other than internally in the ICM that would cause it to break down and go bad? Anything that would cause the module to overheat?

Thanks.

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer

Will the ignition module conversion kit in the link above work for my engine?
Mercruiser Alpha One Gen II - Engine Ser. No. = 0L364401

It doesn't seem to have the wires in the small connector for the knock sensor input.

It also seems strange that every dealer that sells the conversion kit, sells the kit cheaper that just buying the module alone. Makes me wonder if the module in the kit is the same module (861235T1).

Would I still be able to use the knock sensor or would I have to disconnect it?

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer

You say that low voltage supply is the main reason for a module overheat, would that mean a poor ground connection, bad 12V+ connection to the module?

I am trying to eliminate all possibilities before I spend the money on the ignition module. This weekend, I checked all wire connections from the module and into the harness. I cleaned the connections with CRC electronics cleaner, I cleaned the module pins with a fingernail file and got them nice and shiny. After everything dried out, I reconnected the the module and ran the engine for about 20 minutes in the driveway. I then shut down and pulled the connections, and low and behold I had some more liquid in the connectors. I also notice every time that the first pin to start corroding is the pin that is connected to the black/white wire running to the shift interrupt switch. Not sure if that has anything to do with the situation or not, could just be the way the boat sits in the driveway and that is the first place the corrosive fluid hits.

I took the module off and used a blow drier to heat the module to see if I could get some fluid to run out, but it didn't work.

Is there anything else I should check before I break the bank with a new ignition module?

Thanks,
Keith

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need help finding parts! - Ignition Module Question

Re: Need help finding parts! - Ignition Module Question

Anybody have any input as to what else I should check to make sure that it is definitely my ignition module that is failing?

I would hate to buy a $400 module and burn that one up or find out it is not the problem.

Thanks,
Keith

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need help finding parts! - SOLVED!!!

Re: Need help finding parts! - SOLVED!!!

Just wanted to let you know I discovered what the liquid was that was causing my ignition module to act up. It turns out it was antifreeze coolant. The reason it made its way into the ignition module was due to a crack in the temperature sensing unit that sends the signal to the ICM in case of an overheat condition.

Over the winter I installed a San Jaun Fresh Water Cooling Kit and in the kit is a cross pipe fitting, in which you install on one side of the cross the temp sender for the gauge and on the other side the temp sender for the ICM. The sensing elements from each must have contacted each other during installation and caused a crack in the the sensing unit that feeds the ICM, forcing antifreeze through the yellow wire into the module connection. It was then filling up the module connection with antifreeze causing my ICM to act crazy.

Who would have thought:eek:

Anyway, glad that is figured out....and it didn't cost me a new $400 ICM, rather a $25 sending unit.

I am thinking about relocating the temp sending unit to the extra port on the intake manifold to prevent this from happening again. Would that be a good location?