Garage smells like gas when car has full tank

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This has been happening for several months now. I've never thought much of it but thought I'd ask anyways.

My wife parks her car in the garage. It's a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant with about 120,000 miles on it.

When the tank in the car is full (between full and 3/4) the garage smells like gas. I don't think it can be from overfilling because once the pump clicks off, we stop filling. There may be a few drops of gas that end up on the car when the gas nozzle is removed, but nothing more than a few drops that I'd figure would evaporate in a few minutes.

As far as I can remember, this has only been happening for the past several months. I don't think it's always been like that ... but then again - who knows. Maybe I'm more sensitive to it with the higher price of gas.. :)

Is this anything to be worried about?

Thanks!

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Garage smells like gas when car has full tank

I would be somewhat concerned. It could simply be a bad gas cap (yes they need replacement now and then) or as bad as a fuel leak somewhere. Get it all checked out...last thing you want is gas fumes in your home. Not a healthy thing.

Ian

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I should have mentioned - there is no stain under the car, so it doesn't seem like gas is leaking (plus, the tank stays full) and I don't ever smell the fumes inside the house unless the door between the house and garage is open. Even then, it's slight.

mscher

Lieutenant

When gasoline temperature rises, the volume of the gas expands.

Since it has been warmer for the past few months, gas fumes are probably being pushed out of the tank, though a leaky cap, as fishy had mentioned.

Maybe the cap gasket is worn.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the suggestions.

There is no recall dealing with the fuel system (this is the 4 cyl engine) so I should be OK there - good thought though.

The fuel cap could be the likely suspect though. I've never replaced a fuel cap. Are they one-size-fits-all? If I just go to the auto parts store, will I be able to buy a replacement that has the tether so the cap doesn't get lost on the trunk of the car while filling up? :)

Thanks again.

That car has like all newer ones an emmission control system which has hoses attached to the tank to capture and burn any fumes coming from fuel in the tank. You will need to check all of the lines and canisters for a leak in order to solve this common problem. A full tank causes greater fume pressure and thats why it leaks fumes when full.This part of the system also has an electrical pump that pumps the excessive fumes back into the engine but it it fails your CEL will come on. As others said first replace the gas cap and see if that solves it.

JMRuth72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No caps are not one size fits all. I would start at a local autozone type parts store and work up the ladder until you find a new one. Worst case there is the dealer. Someone else mentioned checking out the whole emission system relating to the tank. I agree completely if a new cap doesn't fix it. Either way I would NOT park it in the garage until it is fixed, especially if you have either a gas water heater or furnace in the garage. Might not like the results! :eek: Curious to know what you find. Please let us know and good luck.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wonder if the cannister is full. Sometimes they need to be replaced. For sure, I'd check the hoses into and out of it, especially the one coming out. If it is kinked in some way, then the fumes aren't being drawn off fast enough.

Another idea is to check all of the vacuum hoses for a leak. If vacuum is used to siphon the fumes from the cannister, and there is a leak somewhere, it would take longer for the cannister to draw down.

I'm not a mechanic, but I don't think any of the above thoughts would be expensive to look into.

In the meantime, until the problem is fixed, the smoking lamp is out!!!;)

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, that was easy.

I replaced the gas cap and the problem seems to be solved.

After we replaced it, we filled the tank and let the car sit in the garage for a few hours. I thought I could smell gas just a little but but had a hard time telling. After a few days (and a few 200 mile trip) the tank was half empty, so we filled it again. It sat in the garage overnight and this morning, I couldn't smell gas at all.

The weird thing is that the o-ring on the old gas cap looks brand new but the actual plastic "screw" part of the cap has turned brownish-yellow while the new one is bright white. Whatever - it's fixed now.

Thanks for your suggestions.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nope. I was wrong. Went out to leave for work this morning and the garage stunk like gas BAD...

Pulled the car out in to the driveway and it's staying there until I can look at it either tomorrow or this weekend. If I can't fix it quickly, it's going to the shop...

240sx4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Either a cracked vent line or defective charcoal canister is my guess (just like the guys above).

Evan

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yesterday I backed the car up on ramps and took a good long look under the back end. I could smell gas, but couldn't find anything cracked or worn looking. Most of these lines end up on the top of the gas tank so I couldn't see all of them to get a good look.

I ended up taking the car to the shop to have them look at it. The owner called me a few hours later to tell me that they had it up on the lift but couldn't find anything wrong with it and didn't smell any gas. He said he'd keep it over the weekend and look at it more on Monday.

I'll let you all know how it pans out...

Philthyphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is an OBD II car so any problem in the EVAP system should set a code. Is your MIL or as some call it your CEL on? The garage should put a scan tool on anyway just to see if it throws any codes. May have to drop the tank, but I would check everything from front to rear first.

It seems there is a common problem with this model/ There is a TSB repair notice from the manufactorer # tsb 0213014 , seems the FUEL TANK DIFFERENTIAL PRESSURE SENSOR stops working.....I had a KIA do the same thing. Im surprised also there is no CEL but I guess its possible to mess up and the computer not catch it right away but for sure its only a matter of time.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No lights are on on the dashboard to indicate a problem. I probably should have done more poking around under the hood to see if I could find anything wrong in the front but my search was focused in the back.

Hopefully the shop finds it and fixes it .... cheap.

So, just in case - how much money would you put in to a car that you bought new that now has 102000 miles that's worth $4000 - $4500 that has never given you any other trouble?

Philthyphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fairlaneman is on to something for sure. I'm at my girlfriend's so can't do tsb search. That is always a good place to start. As for spending, how much is it going to cost you to replace the car? If you buy new and finance how much a month, or a year are your payments going to be? When I lived in OZ I saw a lot of Gallents as they made them there, and they seemed to last pretty good. If the rest of the car is in good condition I'd prob fix it.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just as thefairlaneman said - the shop called this morning. He said that he topped the tank off with gas and with mirrors and flashlights, he could see a gas leak on the top of the tank. He doesn't know yet if it's just a gasket or the actual Fuel Tank Differential Presser Sensor, and won't know until he drops the tank.

The part will take about 2 days to get and with parts and labor, it'll cost about $600 if it is the presser sensor.

I guess it could be worse.....

I'll keep updating..

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The shop got the pressure sensor in late today so they removed the gas tank from the car.

Turns out that it's not the pressure sensor at all - where the pressure sensor mounts to the tank is kind of a molded plastic flange with two studs coming off of it. The sensor mounts to those studs. The flange is raised maybe 1/8th of an inch or so. The raised part of the flange is actually cracked a tiny bit and gas is leaking out from the crack. There really isn't a part to replace because it's part of the actual tank that's cracked.

.....aaarrrgghhh

The shop says a new tank is $1500 (plus labor)...

They are going to call around tomorrow to see if they can find a used tank cheaper.

He also said he could try to epoxy the crack up but couldn't guarantee anything because he doesn't know how well anything will stick with gas constantly on it - and I don't blame him.

:(

Philthyphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's the top so it's not in gas all the time. Price sounds a bit much. I'll get back to you going to pop over to the garage and call a couple of suppliers. POR 15 fixed the leaks in my Tigers gas tanks, and I bet JB weld would as well.