1990 johnson 60 overheating?

sattaker

Seaman Apprentice
I recently acquired a 60 johnson that starts ok but doesn't idle very well after running for 10 min or so. I think it may to have the carbs cleaned as the fellow I bought it from said he didn't use it for the last 2 years.anyway I ran it in the lake and it started running fine and then I backed it off.The next time I opened it up it did not want to take off and stayed at about 2800rpm. I backed it off again and then off it went. The buzzer never sounded and it does chirp when I turn the key on. I took it home put on the muffs to run some seafoam through it and the head got so hot I couldn't keep my hand on it. I removed the tstat and then the head stayed cool but the telltale quit working. I am not sure if it quit because I took all the back pressure off?

what should be my next step?
Is this tsat supposed to look like a little rocket as I have never seen one like it?
Is the lower unit easy to remove on this model?

thaks for now

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 1990 johnson 60 overheating?

a) Get an OEM shop manual
b) replace the water pump (complete kit, not just impeller)
c) clean/rebuild carb (soak in carb cleaning solvent, blow dry with compressed air after all passageways are clean

sattaker

Seaman Apprentice

Thaks for the response

I put the thermostat in a pot of boiling water and it opened at 140 deg or so.
so I guess thats good. I will get a waterpump kit and change that next.

Why would I want to change the whole thing. in the past on other motors I have changed just the impeller. Are these different that the whole kit needs changed?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

If the pump (liner) and wear plate have no scoring at all, then it's OK to reuse. Most people don't have enough experience to judge when to pitch bad parts.

The 2800 RPM thing is likely due to crap in the carbs (but could be an air leak in the fuel system on the pump suction side, etc.)

sattaker

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for all the help so far. I'll report back after I have cleaned the carbs and changed the impeller

sattaker

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone know the needle settings on this motor? I did a search and come up with 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns for 60 hp around this year. They were sitting at 1 7/8 or so but I would like to start over.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

They're just a starting point anyway, to get them set right, you need to adjust them.

sattaker

Seaman Apprentice

to adjust them you just turn them till they sound right?
I've never done this part before. The carbs are all synched according to the mark on the throttle plate and they open very even. I am just not sure how to adjust the needle. when you adjust them do you adjust them all the same amount when your tuning?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Not quite ... adjust the low first (at idle RPM): turn it in (lean) until motor noticeably picks up speed and seems to run very smooth: note the setting. The turn outward slowly until motor is clearly running in a rolling, rich mode. Proper setting is midway between. Do the same with the high, except at WOT. Then go back and check each setting again. On many motors, there's some interaction between the two settings, which is the reason to go back and check each once or twice.

You're sure you have adjustable high and low speed mixtures (most newer motors have fixed jets)???

clanton

Rear Admiral

You want the OEM waterpump kit, because it is a different pump, new and inproved, also comes with a block air bleed kit. Temp sensor pigtail should be tan with blue stripe, if only tan, needs to be updated. Prop engine to turn close to 6000 rpms.

sattaker

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry wilde1j the jets are fixed. i was meaning the slow speed needle valve. I assume the procedure would be the same as you describe. I actually meant all the carbs at the same time.

Clanton my wire is only tan. what is the difference with the update?
And on the water pump block update where is the bleed at? My telltale hose currently comes out at the top of what i think is the exhaust housing. It is looking from the back of the motor to the left of the top cylinder. I thought this modification has maybe been done already?

The last time I had it out it turned at 5800 with 2 adults and 1 child so I think I'm good there.

thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited:

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

There is no "carb" adjustment, other than float height. Link and sync is it (check your shop manual for either).

sattaker

Seaman Apprentice

Wilde1j I'm not sure what you mean as the slow needle obviously is there and needs to be in the correct position. I have no problem buying a manual as I have a stack of 25 manuals from various vehicles and outboards I have worked on in the past.I will not be able to buy one for the motor until next week some time(location challenged) and I was hoping to take the kids for a ride this weekend.....Maybe someone else knows

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Some motors (not yours apparently) had adjustable high and low speed mixture. The only adjustment your carb has is float height.

sattaker

Seaman Apprentice

I have included 2 pictures.
the first picture you can see the adjustment screw that I mean on the top left of the carb. Directly above the linkage rod. It is described as the slow speed needle valve. Wildej1 you keep saying there is no adjustment there, thats fine but I do need to know the correct amount of turns on this needle.

On the second picture is a filter that I am not familiar with and I am guessing this may have been added to the motor. Does anyone recognize the type of filter that it is?

Attachments

• carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
  • filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 0

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

If you have a low speed adjustment, do as I suggested above. There is no "correct number of turns", it's different for every motor. Start several truns out from lightly seated. I don't have your motor in front of me or a manual for your motor, so I'm at a disadvantage.

Your pictures are a little had to read, but the filter certainly looks like a fuel filter. I would expect there are numbers on it so you can replace in kind.

sattaker

Seaman Apprentice

I did not take the boat out as I wanted to make sure I had everything correct. In that light I ordered a manual that should arrive this week sometime.

The numbers that are on the filter don't seem to cross reference to anything thats why I asked if it looked familiar to anyone. I will just replace with an inline filter I have here.