New boat vs Old boat for new owners

uscboy

Seaman
Re: New boat vs Old boat for new owners

I was given a used boat and had it for 4 years before buying our brand new
Yamaha this year.

If I weren't given a used boat, I would have bought a new boat most likely.
At least a very recent model. Our boat is hot and didn't require any hassle or
work on my part, whereas the old boat would have been project after project
had I kept it. I don't have the time or ambition - I'd rather a sharp looking
new boat personally.

I have noticed that the majority of posters on iboats have a fascination with
classics and with the restore process in general. My opinion is that's fine if
you need a hobby... I have enough hassles and hobbies in my life, I want
something that gets out on the water and looks good. And while many
posters here have very good looking fully restored old boats, that's more rare
out in the real world - most used, old boats look like old, used boats.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I bought my first boat last year. I bought a brand new one set up for me. I had been in a boat rental club for a couple of years. I had very specific requirements for my boat. It isn't perfect, but it meets my requirements. Quite expensive for the size. Maybe Dingbat can buy it from my decendants after I'm dead.

Imback31

Seaman Apprentice

I bought a new boat and don't worry too much about getting it scratched or dirty. I bought new because I got a good deal and i didn't want the headaches of somebody else's problems. To those who say buy a year or two old boat, well in most cases there is a reason the person is selling that boat. And what i also find when i hear boat owners who talk a lot about how bad a decision it is to buy a new boat, those same people just can't afford to buy that new dream boat they are watching being put in the water.

woodchip

Seaman Apprentice

i had to buy new.
i had previous experience with a power boat but that was as a kid over 30 years ago.
i buy used trucks but thats because i can find a nearly new,well maintained rig.
for a boat,the newest i could find was 10+ years old,not clean running and no way too verify the usage on the boat.
i got new so that i was sure the motor doesn't pollute the lakes i love.i like doing my own maintenence and i know the boats whole history and don't have to fix a previous owners bad repairs or neglect.
i don't baby my boat and have made the usual newbie mistakes but thats just a cost of ownership.if i keep it long enough the average cost will be down to a point that is reasonable.

bottom line.a person should buy what makes them happy.it's their boat.it's their business

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

For me it is how I want to spend my money. I prefer to spend it on the water, and not in the showroom.

Restoring something, granted can be fun, but not all people have the skills needed, the tools, the time, the place, or the desire.

For me it was a cheap way to get back on the water in a country where boating is generally reserved for the super rich. It is not just the boat cost, it is more the connected cost, the hidden ones that those new to boating generally do not see till it is too late.

We have no friends here that are still in boating. All spent so much on their new boat in a good economy, that when the economy turned bad they could no longer afford to boat.

Our boat was free, no one wanted it. I spent two months of free time in bad weather to bring it back to life, bought a small used motor, and just recently acquired another boat from someone who over spent their recreational budget and had to sell it all. I just bought their (3.6 meter) tender for less than one tenth of what they paid for it.

All together I have spent less for all, including gas, than it would have cost to rent a equivalent boat package here for three days. We have been out at least a dozen times, and the weather has been really bad this year or we would have been out more often.

I grew up in a boating community where 80% of the boats were bought new and used for a year, then parked and left to rot in the sun.

Never understood these people. One minute, new to boating, boat nuts who had to have the latest & greatest, buying what was most often a boat way over their real needs.

The next minute just the owners of something that is loosing hundreds to thousands of dollars in value a month, not being used, and is setting roting in the sun.

The money I saved by going used, is now going to pay for several years of on the water storage, and gas.

I really appreciate those of you that take the hit, and buy new, it allows me to enjoy the sport on a budget. :cool:

bhammer

Ensign

SS, I like the post. I haven't boat a brand new boat yet but will a year or two old boat. I let the first guy take the depreciation hit on it. I know how upset I get wen I ding a used, new to me boat but it is comforting to know it isn't brand new. Plus, it is much funner to learn on something you are not overley paranoid about dingging.

I suppose that when the kids are out of the home and the wife and I go for a large 30 footer then we may buy brand new so we can get every stinkin option we want. :D But, I am sure that there will be one close to what we want in a slightly used condition.

It's kind of like the new car. You park out in BFE untul you get the first door ding, then it's the closet spot you can find even if it's between two Dodge 3500 P/U with huge battering rams, err, I mean doors. :D

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's a tough call, with the economy so bad, some really good deals can be had on new boats right now. As well, used boats are selling for peanuts. If I had the money I would have gotten a new boat, and really I don't think it's whether the boat is new or used. The real question is size, any new boater can go out right now and get an old 20-30 foot cruiser for 5-10 grand. But really I'd look for a smaller boat to spend a season or two on just to get the feel of things before moving up.

I am currently in the process of rebuilding an old boat (30+ years) that's pretty beaten up and poorly maintained, but the motor, steering, transom are in very good shape. It's a cute little boat (13' closed bow) and I am proud of it scratches and all. We fully intend to get a small day cruiser in the next year or two, but I haven't been in a boat for over 20 years, so I am re-learning everything. It's been fun...and a great little project to keep me outta trouble...may even hit the lake tomorow for the first time to locate all the leaks so I can begin fiberglass repair.

In the end, if you aren't mechanically inclined a used boat could cost you much more then a shiny new boat....if you are...go used and fix her up, smack a few docks and drag the outdrive, Heck drop the trailer off the side of the ramp a few times for kicks while yer at it....it's all good.

Ian

d_saum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Personally... I'll NEVER buy new. Especially when I see how much more of a boat I can get buying used. When I see the newer stuff for say... $20K, and then look at boats 15 to 20 years old... and see that I can get a REALLY nice boat with way more stuff.. take a guess which way Im leaning!

I'm somewhat handy and dont mind working on the older stuff cosmetically but really wont mess with the engine side of things unless someone is there to hold my hand. If I can find an older 30 - 35 footer with a nice cabin versus an 18 - 22 footer thats new, I'll take the big bastard thank you very much!

I do understand those people though who want new, warranties, and shiny stuff. More power to ya! Thanks for taking one for the team! ;)

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yep, I bought new. Retirement gift to myself. First powerboat ever owned (but owned a sailboat years ago). Got a great deal on the boat and extras, got a free extended warranty on the motor, and the warranty on the boat is lifetime on numerous components to the original owner. We ordered it from the factory, so got the exact colors wife, son and I wanted.

We've had it out about 16 times since 1 May. So far, so good. Took a safe boating course in March and April. Haven't committed too many stupid human tricks. There's a smudge on the starboard side under the water line when I brushed up too hard against the trailer loading guide on a windy day. Hardly noticeable, but will try to find a way to rub it out someday (aluminum hull with automotive paint).

I'm one of those guys who buys new vehicles, then keeps them for a dozen years or more doing my own oil changes and some of the easier maintenance items. In this case I'll keep the boat for 5 years or so, then pass it on to my son. He helped us pick it out and is my primary fishing partner. His name is already on the title with mine to take advantage of the lifetime warranty to the "original owner". As a high school math teacher, he has the summers off. We go out on weekdays and have the lakes almost to ourselves. Lots of fun. And no regrets.

jonesg

Admiral

If it wasn't for us people buying new boats none of you would be able to buy used boats...:cool:

hahah thats right.!
I have no advise, just a request.
Please order your new boat with ALL the options.

I bought a new car once, the 'new car' insurance killed me, it totalled up to $5K.

My current car is a 1990 volvo 740 for $500, they couldn't fix it , I did.
I'm a chef. not a mechanic. Its not rocket science.

My 20' CC cost $750, Johnson 150 was $1500.

My neighbor just bought a 30' Silverton with 2 new engines for $5K
...from a marine surveyor !

Sometimes its not someone elses headache, its their mortgage payments.

jonesg

Admiral

"Thanks for taking one for the team!"

hahaha. theres some classic one liners in this thread.

Its the classic "old school" vers "new school" Like cars. some prefer only the transportation while others want to be into the car as a hobby. I would rather be seen driving a nice restored 56 fairlane than a brand new Impalla or Honda or Camray

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Just because it is new does not mean that your not going to have headaches even with a warranty. Does the warranty cover the water pump when the "new to boating person" fires his boat up on the trailer to impress his non-boating buddies? Does that person going to know that when he blows the engine up due to overheating because he failed to put the muffs on that the warranty will not cover it? Then of course they are going to deny what they had done and then bad mouth the manufacture. Seen it many times posted in the forums. Sometimes buying a new boat is not a guarantee that it won't be a lemon just like a car.

I know a guy at the docks that bought a brand new Baja in 2006. He was so proud as this was his very first boat. He said many times that there was no way he would buy someone else's problems. He didn't put in last year or this year. I asked one of the dock patrons what happened to him. He told me that he put it up at seasons end,,,,,,,,,,,,,without winterizing it! He said he was PO'd because the warranty wouldn't fix it. So now he can't sell it to pay off the loan and doesn't have the money to replace the engine and manifolds. So does this mean that this boat is a headache? IMO,,,,No because it was owner/operator error,,,,,,,a costly error at that. It all can be fixed.

I guess my point is that people unfamiliar with boats can cause more headaches for themselves when they don't know what they are doing. Now that they have replaced the engine and pump,,,,,,,they want to off load it making it someone else's headache. These boats will not be a headache for the experienced boater. Just a great buy for them.

So I suggest when buying new, just don't launch and learn,,,,,,read, read, and read some more. There is no excuse for not doing the right thing if you research enough.

I only suggest when buying new, you should have had your feet wet first in boating before buying brand new.............It can prevent self inflicted headaches....................SS

For a new owner who has never learned about boats I agree that learning on an older one will save alot of money, but hey its your money and having a brand new anything is alot of fun.

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just because it is new does not mean that your not going to have headaches even with a warranty. Does the warranty cover the water pump when the "new to boating person" fires his boat up on the trailer to impress his non-boating buddies? Does that person going to know that when he blows the engine up due to overheating because he failed to put the muffs on that the warranty will not cover it? Then of course they are going to deny what they had done and then bad mouth the manufacture. Seen it many times posted in the forums. Sometimes buying a new boat is not a guarantee that it won't be a lemon just like a car.

Good point

Marc..

JeffSmith

Seaman Apprentice

I tried them, asked three different local experts. All said the same thing, it is too deep. :mad: The dent is only the size of a nickle, but about a inch deep. Don't know what they dropped on it but ...

Sorry! Off Topic

Let the car sit out in the sun on a good and HOT day. Take some dry ice to the dent. Sometimes that will work on larger dents.

And on the subject of this new thread...I enjoy reading everyone's remmarks. I just bought my first boat, and it is about 32 years old. I much prefer the fact that I have no pay payments, and don't have to worry too much about the overall condition of the boat. It is also making me learn a lot more before I can go out on the water since I have to redo most of the boat. Not only will I learn the ins and outs of the boat and be comfortable with it before I ever even get it wet, but I will be more cautious about safety because I know what it takes to get everything dialed in. Just my 2 cents.

SooLineRob

Seaman Apprentice

I went shopping around last winter for my first boat. New or used, I really didn't have a preference. Great deals on both, and great interest rates on new boats/trailers.

I ended up with a very nice like-new used boat. Knew the owner real well, boat was super clean and well maintained, not a scratch on it.

Last weekend while tied up to the dock, a pontoon comes cruising by at full speed, about 30 feet off the dock. As luck would have it, a photograph was being taken on shore at precisely the moment the pontoon was cruising by the dock, clearly showing wake and all. Boat and dock bounce around, and I walk down to take a look. Nice verticle scratch about 4 inches long. Wife sees it, and anticipates my reaction ... I shrugged my shoulders and chuckle. She's like "...I thought you'd go after the guy and try and settle things with him by showing the photo; there wasn't a thing wrong with the boat before today...". I say "That's because (previous owner) never used it, and that's why we have a "new" boat at half the price; it was bound to happen sooner or later."

Now that I have "the scratch", I actually feel better. BTW, I usually buy slightly used items. No opinion on whether first time owners should buy new or used...

woodchip

Seaman Apprentice

was checking the used sights here and there still isn't anything used that i would buy.I saw one i liked last year but it would have been cheaper new.saw the guy lAST WEEKEND .still hasn't sold it used only works if someone is selling something suitable.

Big Sarge

Seaman Apprentice

great, I just managed to on a really low tide with oysters make a 25 inch gash down the side of my boat. Polish wont remove this.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know everything about boat repair, but with my budget and tastes I prefer a classic too. This is my second boat and it came in the same condition as my first- Great after rewiring, regreasing, cleaning, replacing hardware, planing and refinishing teak, etc...
I figure if it starts and the compression is good I can make it a good boat. The first thing I learned about a boat was that they like to be run and don't like to sit. So if it runs when yo buy it, you should be able to keed it that way. There really isn't that much to them other than the motor, steering, trim. I like old bay boats that look good with rope inserts in the bumper. You don't see that much anymore, so when I found these two I knew they would be mine. That said, I have put money into both of these boats and therefore I take alot of pride in them. They fit my personality and start most everytime. I love Robalo boats both used and new. Even if I could afford to pay cash for a brand new Robalo, I probably wouldn't buy it. It is what it is (motor steering trim) Get what you want and see yourself in, you'll pay for it anyway.