All needles bounce up on gauges

Hugh H

Cadet
When i flip my nav. lights on all gauge needles jump up slightly and stay there. (not pinned) Also noticed the fuse for the lights, a bit melted. all help greatly appreciated!

hard-3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: All needles bounce up on gauges

check the circuit for high resistance with an ohm meter. What does voltage do when this happens? is engine running or off wth key on? If it only occurs with nav lights I'd suspect power wire to light circuit is shorted , check light bulb sockets for corrosion.

Hugh H

Cadet

Thanks h3 ill look into those scenarios and keep you posted
Thanks again

Hugh H

Cadet

So with the ign. switch on and engine on same results as with swithch on engine off. Volt gauge and trim gauge dip down when nav. lights turned on, all others pop up. Also if i turn on only the anchor light no needle movement. Only with the Nav. lights on situation occurs. One switch controls both, i assume this is typical. No corrosion on light sockets. Time for the multi meter i guess

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You are getting a voltage drop..and some voltage drop is normal. The question is how much and if its excessive. It probably isn't. Measure what you get and report back. Check your voltage and ground connections at the fuse block and make sure they are on tight.

Hugh H

Cadet

Haven't made it to the boat yet to test. Just thinking, if I put in the wrong type of bulb in this could create a voltage drop by drawing to much power? not sure, seems reasonable.
Thanks

Hugh

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you mean the bulb has an incorrect base, it may create some issues, but probably not what you are experiencing. Otherwise a 12V bulb is a 12V bulb except for its current draw and even at that, the smaller bulbs do not differ significantly in that regard.