force 85 tilt

bill mullins

Recruit
bought a mid -80's force 85. was told that the trim motor is bad. were is the best place to get one at a good price. also the trim button has three wire coming out of it (has been cut) the trim motor also has three wires coming out of it. do i need relays if so how do i wire it

RRitt

Captain
Re: force 85 tilt

I would be surprised if your motor is bad but the valve body is good. That is possible but not very likely. On that particular year the motor is more durable than valve body (on 88-92 it's about same).

Anyway ...
if it is in freshwater condition then you can get motor rebuilt for $70-$150, swap entire pump assy. (motor + valve body) for rebuilt @ $220-$290, or buy a brand new motor for $230-$280. It depends upon quality of rebuild, condition of motor, and model being replaced/rebuilt. Iboats, E-bay, and google are my favorite places to look.

Force three wire motors are designed to be directly wired to your switch. Force relays are designed for 2 wire systems and won't work with your 3w motor.

bill mullins

Recruit

thanks very much, on the motor is one wire a ground and the other two are hots?(one for up and the other down)

bill mullins

Recruit

thanks very much, i guess the motor has a ground and the other two hots(one for up and the other for down)

ths bill

bill mullins

Recruit

you were right the valve body was all rusted up and stuck, does anyone make a repair kit, done a search but all i can find in new

ths bill

RRitt

Captain

you were right the valve body was all rusted up and stuck, does anyone make a repair kit, done a search but all i can find in new

ths bill

I doubt that you'll find a kit for the valve body. It is a tough part to fix, well beyond the capabilities of people who haven't done one (or twenty) before. Selling such a kit would be the kiss of death for many valve bodies.