Half Beep of Death

simpleur2

Cadet
Hello,

I have a 1983 Mercury 100HP four cylinder. I had the constant beep problem and wound up buying a new electronic module and that fixed it, or did it. The motor runs fine until you shut it off (after it's warm). It's like someone disconnected the battery. No power, motor won't turn over, can't here the choke click when you push the key in, power tilt doesn't work. Like I said, it's like someone disconnected my battery. Some times I will here one anemic little half hearted beep like some one is choking the beeper but thats all and it runs just fine till I turn it off. Most of the time it will work again after it cools down but one time it didn't. I jumped the silenoid, disconnected and reconnected the module wire and it turned over and fired up again (didn't do anything in my opinion that should have fixed anything so I think it may be temperature related). Any Ideas on what could be causing the problem?

Thanks

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Half Beep of Death

It is NOT the oil warning module.

You have a poor electrical connection that is failing at temperature. Start at the battery, clean, bright and tighten both cable connections, repeat at the engine end. Move on to the large red cannon plug, the two large pins are the battery connections, use an exacto knife and very carefully open the slot on the male pin just enough so to fit snugly into the female connector. Cautioon, leave battery disconnected while poking inside the cannon plug, you will short something otherwise.

simpleur2

Cadet

Thanks CharlieB, I'll give that a try. The only thing that bugs me is if it was a bad or dirty connection somewhere it would happen at more random times. It seems like it always happens once the motor reaches a good operating temperature. That doesn't mean it isn't what you suggest so I'm goin out there now and cleaning all the connections. I like the idea of making the male prong a little tighter (must be a guy thing):D

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

Listen to CharlieB It is a poor power connection that is failing when warm, most likey culprit will be the main power and ground connections at the motor.