Johnson Seahorse CD-14 (Broken Tiller)

rich76lt

Cadet
A friend of mine gave me a low hours Johnson 5.5 CD-14 which he said only had a few hundred hours run time on it. It was running before he backed his boat into a garage and broke the tiller and the yoke it is attached to. Does anybody need a parts motor or can they sell me the tiller assembly off an old non working motor? rich76lt

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Johnson Seahorse CD-14 (Broken Tiller)

Millions of those out there (well I'm exaggerating a little). Try an outboard salvage yard like www.tcoutboard.com. They'll have that stuff in stock. It might be a little pricey, but they'll have it.

Or, watch Craigs List or eBay for a parts motor. Something with a bad powerhead will go really cheap.

rich76lt

Cadet

Thanks, I will contact tcoutboard@tcoutboard.com and see what they say. I have looked at EBAY and Craig's list and they do list some Johnson 5.5 CD-14's and they are in the $300 range running. What I need is the salvage yard to get this old motor running. The paint is not even worn off the prop and mine looks better than most they are selling. rich76lt

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

There is a seller on ebay that has a number of parts listed for a CD-13 two of which are a tiller handle and steering bracket. tiller handle , steering bracket. I'm checking on the possibility of buying some parts off of an FD-10 from him at the moment.

Not the greatest feedback in the world but I have hope.

Cheers....................Todd

rich76lt

Cadet

Bought a tiller and tiller mount assembly on Ebay for $9.99 each and about the same for postage. Thanks for the tip.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Glad it worked out for ya! Myself, I won a set of transom clamps for an FD-10 on monday afternoon from him and sent a message asking about combining shipping on a few other items and here it is wednsday and haven't heard anything. I'm guessing his comunication is the biggest reason for his relatively low feedback score. And reading through his feedback seems to confirm it. Oh well, the most important thing you need to have when working on these old outboards is patients and I'm in no hurry. :)

Cheers.................Todd

rich76lt

Cadet

Spoke too soon. Got the tiller I wanted from Ebay but the same guy sent me some CD-13 transom champs instead of the transom/tiller bracket I won instead. His communication is poor and he won't tell me what happened to my part so I am out $30. He says mail it back for a refund - right another $20 for postage. I will escalate to PayPal on Monday and see how that goes.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Well sorry to hear that. That doesn't sound encouraging! :(

I won the transom clamps for the FD-10 but then got the steering bracket/steerer tube assembly plus two manuals on buy-it-nows. I emailed him asking if he'd like to unbolt the tiller mounting bracket from the steerer tube and keep the steerer tube since I don't need it and just send the tiller bracket to save on shipping. I offered $20 shipping for the whole lot. He finally emailed me back and said he would combine shipping but not a word about the steering bracket.

When I sent in the request for grand total I also asked him if he had any of the spark plug wire springs that go around the plug wires and control the slack dip as the magneto rotates. He wound up charging me $15.00 shipping and not a word about the spring.

I worry that this might all be much too complicated. We'll see what I wind up getting when it arrives. If we're lucky I'll wind up with your steering bracket! :)

BTW in my search for a steering bracket for my 56 10 horse QD-17 I got one from Island Marine Salvage and I'm pretty sure it was off of a CD-21. It looked right when I was looking at it at the salvage place, and I didn't know at the time what a CD-** was. But when I got it home and compared it to my motor it was obvious that it was much too small. Anyway I took it back and bought an FD-12 parts motor instead. So they should have the bracket you need, whether or not they can find it again is another question. Who knows it may still be laying on the counter where I left it.

At any rate, good luck with your ordeal! And wish me luck with mine :) !

Cheers...................Todd

rich76lt

Cadet

The Ebay saga continues. While I was bidding on the CD-13 tiller, the same guy had a CD15 tiller for auction that was an exact match for my CD-14 tiller. Anybody beside me figure out CD-13 is 1956, CD-14 is 1957 and CD-15 is a 1958 model? The handle on the CD-13 was not a perfect match so I bid and won the CD-15 tiller. If someone needs some CD-13 transom clamps I got them - Just send me the shipping money($20) and I will send them to you. Yeah, I cancelled the claim against the seller - Between Ebay, PayPal and me I figure all of us have spent way too much $$$ trying to get a really dumb seller to do the right thing. rich76lt:rolleyes:

wbeaton

Commander

When you say the tiller handle didn't match do you mean the throttle grip or the tiller arm? Did you not still have the grip from the broken tiller?

I could be wrong, but I thought the transom bracket and tiller arms from 1956-58 were all the same except for the tiller grip. The tiller arm is definately the same. If the one he sent you is green then it would be a 1954-55 and the transom bracket is in deed different.

At least you've got it all sorted out now. Good luck with the engine. Enjoy it.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

When you say the tiller handle didn't match do you mean the throttle grip or the tiller arm? Did you not still have the grip from the broken tiller?

I could be wrong, but I thought the transom bracket and tiller arms from 1956-58 were all the same except for the tiller grip. The tiller arm is definately the same. If the one he sent you is green then it would be a 1954-55 and the transom bracket is in deed different.

At least you've got it all sorted out now. Good luck with the engine. Enjoy it.

My guess is he meant the tiller gears are different. The 56 gears (teeth) are a flatter stamped looking affair. The 57 and 58 gears (teeth) have a rounded cast shape. The two don't mesh correctly.

Glad it all worked out in the end. My stuff arrived last Monday or Tuesday. Everything was what I'd hoped for. He even sent the steerer tube with the tiller bracket after all. And it turns out it's much nicer than the one on my 18 horse FD-11. The tiller bracket is exactly the same down to the p/n as the one I needed for my 10 horse QD-17. So now I have all the hard parts I need to fully restore both motors. I just need some more regular maintainance items, paint, decals and time. Good luck with yours! And have fun!

Cheers....................Todd

rich76lt

Cadet

The tiller handle is ok but real old. Gears match but I only need one half of the handle to replace my broken piece (mine looks new). Hey I found the guy that won the CD-13 transom clamps that were sent to me instead of my steering/tiller bracket. Sent him an email and another protest to EBAY to get the seller to refund shipping charges. Good Luck right? rich76lt :)

rich76lt

Cadet

Still trying to get a Steering Bracket for a 1957 Johnson CD-14 5.5 HP. If any of you guys know of other years compatable with that steering bracket or can give me a lead to some junk yards I would appreciate it. rich76lt :cool: