smoker. porpoise

tracyb

Cadet
I have a 2007 185 pro mag with a 150 optimax & a 9.9 kikker. the opti is set as low on the trasom as it can be. this boat will porpoise at any speed accept full throttle. any options to get rid of this problem.

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: smoker. porpoise

I have a 2007 185 pro mag with a 150 optimax & a 9.9 kikker. the opti is set as low on the trasom as it can be. this boat will porpoise at any speed accept full throttle. any options to get rid of this problem.

I have a 172 Stealth I bought used with a Yamaha F115.
Smart Tabs made it into a whole different boat.
I would think any aluminum boat with a heavy motor would porpoise but maybe not.
Smart Tabs are great.
I've taken it through some heavy chop that used to pound the sh*t out of me.

NJS0930

Seaman Apprentice

I put the Smart Tabs on my Smoker Craft Osprey 19 this year. They made a world of difference in planing speed and porpoising. Good luck!

cloumar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi guys,

About Smart Tabs, did any of you had problem with the screws holding into the aluminium of the transom, I wonder with time and stress if the screws will hold OK in the transom.

Cloumar

NJS0930

Seaman Apprentice

Cloumar:

The screws are pretty large. On my 19 foot Osprey, the top row of screws caught part of the wood sandwiched in between the aluminum transom panels, so no issues there. The bottom row went right into the bilge. I used generous amounts of marine sealant on every screw. Also, the metal screws are so large that I had to use my big Sears 24 volt cordless drill to get them tight. I can't see how they could come loose, but I inspect them after every outing.

In the eventuality that the screws do come loose, I plan to remove the trim tabs, have the screw holes welded up, and have brackets welded to the transom to which I can attach the trim tabs.