Help!! Major water leak!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Rav

Cadet
I have a 1987 OMC 3.0 (I know what your thinking already, I've already read a bunch of posts!!) I took her out today and didn't even get halfway across the lake and the whole bilge and hold were full of water. Long story short, I kinda pinpointed the location. Its at the bell housing the bottom to be more specific. My question is this, is there a freeze plug behind the bell housing, and how long does it take to replace said plugs. Also, is there anywhere online that I can see this location or parts breakdown? Any and all help I can get in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Also this is a time sensitive question as I have planned a camping trip around my boat and need this repair done in 2 wks!! Thanks
Travis

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Help!! Major water leak!!!

Sounds like your bellows is shot. When was the last time the drive was off to have the ujoints and seals/bellows inspected? If not last year, then you need to get it in right away.

chiefalen

Captain

Doug russell marine web site has it broke down.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pull the drive to see if the bellows is shot. I have the same setup as you do. A few years ago I had the same issue. Bilge would fill up with water in no time. I couldn't find the leak for the life of me. I ended up pulling the engine & found a bad seal somewhere on the transom. But, it was 10 years ago & I can't remember the exact location. All I know is I had to pull the engine to find it. Hopefully, your leak is only in the bellows.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I'm not an OMC expert by any means, and it may well be your bellows... but if it is truly coming from the bellhousing on the engine, then I would suspect a freeze plug - or crack. Here is a picture of what a 3.0 looks like at the back of the engine - with and without a bellhousing on. (The pictures are of a different engine, but I believe the freeze plugs, etc are in the same location).

DSCF5389.jpg

Here's the same engine with the bellhousing attached:
DSCF5436.jpg

T-Rav

Cadet

Thank you all for all the help. It DID end up being a freeze plug. I must not have done propper winterization. It seems to me that that could be the only reason. I had it fixed. Happy to report this year, no freeze plug problems. However, I have a different problem that I will discuss in another under a different header So onece again thanks for all the help on this issue the pics were a great help!

Status
Not open for further replies.