1998 115 engine sync

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1998 115 i rebuilt had it bored 20 over all 4 cylinders. Put it back together and it fired up but runs like crap it coughs and wants to stall out in idle. So i rebuilt carbs and they are like new!!! I did a link and sync, and it stoped the coughing due to the top butterflys being just a hair open. Now it idles fine but if you rev it up real fast then drop it back to idle it stalls out. It will start right back up and start coughing and wanting to stall again.So i read the manual and tried to set the timing pointer, and it is way off. I follwed the book word for word and cant get the pointer anywhere near the mark on the flywheel! So I decided to forget this and move on next i did a cam follower pickup sync. Now the only way the motor will start is with the timer base advanced forward all the way. It starts and idles with the timer base as far forward as it will go (its the only way the motor will start) so the book states to hook up a timing light to the #1 wire, and with it idling the timing pointer should be lined up within 3 to 5 degrees BTDC. It dont, i would say the fly wheel mark is atleast 2 inches before the timing pointer with the timing gun on it. And if i try to push the timing base back the line on the flywheel starts to come closer to the timing pointer, but the motor starts spitting and sputtering and stalls! and i have a hell of a time starting it.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1998 115 engine sync

You might try pulling the flywheel and see if the key is in place.

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes key is there! I dont see how that would have anything to do with the timer base having to be fully advanced for the engine to start though?

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

If missing the flywheel could slip and throw off your timing marks. Did you try the joe reeves timing method to get a good baseline?

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

Try squeezing the primer bulb next time you get the engine started. See if you have a fuel delivery issue.

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tried squeezing the ball does nothing also tried priming the carbs by pushing in the key just stalls out the motor. I did just go check my idle jets. I was told by a mechanic to pull them out and look at them. he said they should be #42, I pulled them out they are number 38! mine is a 1998 and shop evinrude page says i should have a 42, but i looked at a 1997 modle and they are suppose to have a 38C. would this make all that big a diffrence? could this be my problem?

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

I would need your engine # to confirm that. You can check a parts list like on this site once you have it and get a exploded image of your carb with all the jet sizes. There are 15 other 115 models in 98. Have you run the engine before the rebuild? The only reason jets should ever be changed would be for high altitude operation and usually the high speed ones at that.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

Ok I see which carbs you have and yes they should be 42's at or around sea level. I can't see any reason for having 38's in there.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

Mine have 39's but I have a inboard application of a 115 on a jet pump.

jeremy5780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i took both carbs off and all 4 idle and high speed orfices are wrong for my year. It appears that I have carbs off a 1996 model, and they differ from a 1998 model. And no I bought this motor seized, then rebuilt it so i never ran it. So do you think this could be why my motor is running like it is? And should i put the right orfices in there or do i need diffrent one's due to my motor being bored 20 over? I also feel i should tell you that the 115 block was trash so i used a 90 hp block, and had it bored 20 over then put all the 115 pices on the 90 hp block. so its basicly a 115 with a flat back not bubble back. The 90 and 115 block where identical i just didnt know if this would make a diffrence or not?

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

Man, there are a lot of variables involved in your rebuild. A bit more than my experience. You should repost in early am or on monday, hopefully someone will be able to shed some more light then. I would think you would have to check all the parts you bolted on to the motor to make sure everything jives. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.