No ID tag on mounting bracket - any tricks to determine year and hp?

azhunter

Seaman Apprentice
Re: No ID tag on mounting bracket - any tricks to determine year and hp?

Well gentlemen,

I certainly appreciate all of your help with this. It looks as though I have enough info to get whatever I may need. I am going to attempt to do all of my own work on this motor with exception of the carbs; they just scare me. I've never had much luck with dialing them in right on any of the cars or motorcycles I've worked on so no sense in messing them up on my boat, too.

Guy74, can you give me any information out of your manual that will help me track one down. I have a generic manual that covers a wide variety of motors but I think it would be benificial for me to have one specific to the motor I have.

Thanks again!!!

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Factory books are alittle pricey, but worth the $. I found this info on evinrude's website. "For service literature on model years 1996 and prior, please contact the Ken Cook Company at (414) 466-6060."

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You could buy a used book for about half here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...003QQitemZ130242903518QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

As I stated earlier, your motor, or at least the engine, is most likely in the period 1986-1988 so the 1988 factory manual (part #507663) would be most up to date for your motor.

BTW, it is unfortunate that the seller of the manual does not know that "CC" means 1988 and that the publication date of 1987 is for the beginning of the model release, not the model year.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As I stated earlier, your motor, or at least the engine, is most likely in the period 1986-1988 so the 1988 factory manual (part #507663) would be most up to date for your motor.

Sorry Ezeke, I didn't read back though to posts close enough, I thought Dhadley had said that it was 1986, 1987, 1988. Now I see it was you, didn't mean to step on your toes. At least we've got him headed in the right direction.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Not to worry guy74, my interest is the motors and the end results; way too many of these excellent machines are already in the boneyards.

azhunter

Seaman Apprentice

I just purchased the manual on ebay that ezeke told me about. All totalled with shipping and insurance it was only $52. Not too bad. I'm sure it will be well worth the investment. I'm not sure how good of an outboard "mechanic" I will be but it's going to be fun. With the manual and this forum, I'm sure I will be able to get through most of it.

Thank you all again.