Need help with 225 Johnson 1993 no spark

fireranger40

Cadet
When i first purchased this engine, I knew it needed a new power pack. After replacing it, the engine started but ran pretty rough and it would die. After further testing, I noticed the magnets were loose on the flywheel. I replaced the magnets, installed them according to specs and verified the flywheel sensor alignment (ok). I now have no spark again. The stator checks ok although I am not getting anything on the brown/brown white wire coming from the stator (not normally part of the troubleshooting). Rectifier checks ok too.

Any chance running the engine with a new power pack and loose flywheel magnets might have messed-up my new power pack????

Is there any diagnostic to test the powerpack by itself to make sure its good?? Powerpack IS getting power and yellow/red wire is good too.

I also checked for any possible "kill switch" and/or grounding condition and everything seems to be in working order. All wires seem to be healthy and in good condition.

Engine is spinning freely and faster than 300rpms.

I also disconnected the wire harness and jump started the engine using the starter and did not get any spark either.

Thank you for your help! This is week three trying to get this baby to come to life!

fireranger40

Cadet
Re: Need help with 225 Johnson 1993 no spark

Thanks for the referral...I have already done most of these tests with the exception of the DVA tests. I do not beleieve my multimeter is capable of testing DVA.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Did you disconnect the black and yellow kill wires at the powerpack to eliminate the shift assist and possible blocking diode problems? I believe that there are three amphenols to disconnect.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The brown brown/white wire from the stater is the charge coil from the stator to the pack, if you are not getting voltage here the stator is bad. Should be 2 charge coils and 1 power coil, the power coil powers the logic in the pack. Set your meter AC scale times the results by 4.414 this will get you close.

fireranger40

Cadet

By voltage you mean test it with the key ON right???????

fireranger40

Cadet

Ok this is what I got....With my meter set at 200Mv setting....I read 07.3 out of those wires. This is with the engine OFF and key on the ON position...What does that mean?

Thank you!

Ps: The stator coil looks good to me....there is no drip from the coils or any visual sign of disrepair.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It does not mean much. The battery and its voltage are there to run the starter.

The ignition system stands alone. You have to crank to get anything at all out of the ignition system unless you have a bad rectifier, in which case an open circuit could ruin your stator by letting battery voltage reach your ignition system. .

fireranger40

Cadet

So you want me to check the output at the brown/brown white wire while cranking the engine??????

What should the voltage be?

Thanks!

I show 12 volts coming from the rectifier into the stator with the engine OFF key ON

Last edited:

clanton

Rear Admiral

It means you are doing the test incorrect. Disconnect all wires going to the stator, then check the ohms, short to ground, and voltage on the 2 charge coils and the 1 power coils. You have to turn engine with starter for voltage output. Set meter AC scale 400 volts.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I will have my manual tonight, I can`t remember all the specs or wire colors.

fireranger40

Cadet

Thank you Clanton! (it means you are doing it wrong) :( The story of my life! With your help I will soon stop sounding like an idiot! :D

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Blocking diodes should prevent battery voltage at the rectifier from reaching the stator yellow and yellow/gray wiring. If the voltage is in fact reaching the stator, you should disconnect the rectifier before the stator is harmed.

fireranger40

Cadet

Ok I checked the ohms on the stator the right way this time....

101.5 from the orange/orange + black

867 from the brown/brown + yellow wire

873 from the brown/brown +white wire

These readings are within specs if I am not mistaken right?

So what you are saying about the rectifier is that I should NOT be getting 12v from the rectifier to the stator (thru the yellow and yellow+gray wires)????

What should the voltage be?

Even if i have a bad rectifier? Would that prevent the engine from getting spark and firing??

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The rectifier is an accessory that converts AC Voltage from the stator to DC Voltage for charging the battery. It does this by the use of blocking diodes that prevent the flow of voltage except to the battery, never back.

The diodes can be destroyed instantly by reversing the battery cables, by a failing ignition switch, by loose battery cables, and by a number of other methods.

If the wires in the rectifier diodes fuse, the battery voltage flows back to the stator and other ignition components.

Disconnecting the rectifier is universally a step in troubleshooting a ignition problem. It is step 2 on the check for your engine on the link that TD gave: http://www.boatpartstore.com/page35.asp

fireranger40

Cadet

I did disconnect the rectifier at the very beginning of my diagnostic and still got no spark.

I did just noticed something that may or not be of importance. I used a picture that one of you experts posted of a flywheel on a 225. I noticed the arrow on the flywheel was pointing to the left along with the magnets in the same direction. All the "notches" facing the same way as the arrow.

The arrow on my 225 johnson is actually pointing to the right but i installed all the magnets with the "notches" facing a clockwise direction just like the one on the picture.

Could this create a problem that will cause a no spark condition??? If i had installed the magnets with the "notches" facing the same direction as the arrow on my flywheel the "notches" would have been on the inside, bottom edge of the flywheel instead of being near the top. (if it matters?)

Thank you for your help!

clanton

Rear Admiral

The stator charge coil ohm specs looks good, spec is 850 +- 85. Do the same test with meter set AC scale 200 volts and time the results by 4.414. The number should be close to 130 volts at cranking rpms. Spec is 130 volts or higher with peak reading meter.

fireranger40

Cadet

Thank you Captain Clanton! I will perform that check this morning...Did any of that non-sense regarding the flywheel mde sense to you or anybody else????

clanton

Rear Admiral

I could not find photo of flywheel on forum. If flywheel is off of engine and turned upside down the magnet notch will be at the top. If flywheel on engine, you should be able to feel the notch with your finger. ENGINE STOPPED. Agree with other poster about the regulator. One regulator has purple wire that is switched with ignition switch. This reg may be hot both sides with key on. You do have the powerpack ground wire connected. Right?

fireranger40

Cadet

Ok captain! On my flywheel the notches are on the surface closest to the teeth area and they are all pointing left.

What you are saying is (if i read you right?) with the flywheel off the boat turned upside down the notches should be facing RIGHT. I guess that WOULD be the only way you could feel the notches once the flywheel was installed back on the engine right?

Bare with me....you know us puerto ricans mostly "float" on stuff near the island! HAHAHAHAHAH!

Thank you soooo much for your help. I think we are on to something!