1970 johnson 25 hp 25RL70E

jdt

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, I had my new used boat out with this 1970 johnson 25 hp 25RL70E motor on it. The tiller control has from left to right- fast, start, shift, stop, slow. In order to start it I have to have it over in between start and fast. And I cant move it from start to slow because it will die. Is there a set screw to adjust for this? The motor runs real well otherwise. Any help would be grately appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeremy.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 johnson 25 hp 25RL70E

Forget you ever saw those words printed there. They are never right. Their only value is to say that Fast is that way and Slow is the other way.

The proper start position is put the shift in neutral, then turn the twist grip as far toward Fast as it will go. It will only go to the "real" start position when in neutral.

jdt

Seaman Apprentice

So just run it on the fast side and expect it to quit anywhere from start to slow.......if I am understanding you.

I noticed tonight to that when you have it wide open and then turn it the opposite way to slow down it sticks and you have to turn it real hard , then it breaks free and the motor dies. Any thoughts?

jbjennings

Captain

From my meager experience, the problem is probably the little band you've been talking about that says start/slow/etc. is binding on the twist grip throttle on the tiller handle. the fix is to take off the grip, kind of squeeze the band back into a nice round/tight shape and put it back on. I like to put a little dab of grease on the edge of it and the tiller itself. I'll bet it will smooth out then. You can just try it without the band to see if that's the problem, of course.
good luck,
JBJ