Volvo outdrive - trim gauge

Five O'Clock

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey All,

I didn't get too much help in the "electrical" section with this question so may you all may be able to help::

I have an '03 Monterey with a Volvo outdrive (don't have the model number or anything but I could get it this weekend if need be)

The power trim/tilt gauge on my boat was out of whack, and would jump from up to down with 1 touch of the button, and then it would jump back up and all around from up to down and down to up during the adjustments.

The trim takes about 17 to 18 seconds to go from completely down, to completely up. I figured the easiest place to start in order to fix it, would be to replace the trim gauge. So I spent $30 something on it and this brand new gauge is doing the exact same thing as the old one.

There are 3 wires on the back of the gauge, a yellow, a purple, and a believe and tan/white wire... Now the yellow and purple wires are on every other gauge, so my assumption leads me to believe that the tan/white wire is specific to the outdrive. There's also a plug that goes into the top, which is consistent throughout every other gauge, but I think that is for the light.

Any thoughts on how I could fix my trim gauge? Do you know think wires are in the wrong place, or something I need to fix on the actual outdrive?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo outdrive - trim gauge

Sounds like the sender is bad or needs adjustment.Jerry

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo outdrive - trim gauge

I figured the easiest place to start in order to fix it, would be to replace the trim gauge

The gauge itself seldom goes bad, however the senders on the gimbal ring have been a constant problem.