Fuel Line question

Suddzies

Recruit
Hello all, I have been reading on this forum for a while now and have found it to be very informative. I have a 96 Searay 175 with a Mercruiser 3.0lx and Alpha 1 gen 2 that i bought about a month ago. It has a slight stutter around 1500 rpm that I am trying to fix. I was going to clean the fuel filter in the carb and noticed a slight kink in the metal fuel tube where it enters the carb. The brass fitting is also badly stripped. I found a part # for the fuel tube but the few web sights that come up show it to be unavailable. My question is, can I replace the metal tube with rubber automotive fuel hose. I know most electrical parts have to be marine grade, but am not sure about the fuel line.

Thanks for the help, Chris.

Suddzies

Recruit
Re: Fuel Line question

Thanks Don.

I called three local distributors and none of them stocked it. They would be happy to order it for me, only cost $115. This is my third boat, so i already know that nothing about them is cheap.

When asked if it could be replaced with automotive fuel hose, two said "sure, no problem". The third said "no way", it would cause the fuel to get hot and result in vapor lock. Is it true that fuel stays cooler in a metal tube than a rubber hose?

Robj

Lieutenant

Rubber fuel line must be marine rated, USCG approved. If it is, I see no reason why you cannot use it.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You can bend your own line from your basic metal brake / fuel line you can pick up at the auto parts store. That doesn't help you with the fitting that screws into the carb of course... is it stripped, or is the end of the metal line stripped?

Here's a line I bent and installed on my dad's boat:

DSCF5704.jpg

watermellonI

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome Aboard Suddzies
I went through the same issue with my 3.0 the brass fitting went, ended up replacing the whole line with marine grade rubber line. Got fittings from the plumbing supply.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Don, Bond-o, or one of the other more knowledgeable mechanics out there, please correct me if I'm wrong. I was under the impression that "rubber" fuel lines can only be used from the fuel tank up to the fuel/water separator or fuel pump, if there is no separator. I also was under the impression that the fuel line to the carb and the line from the separator to the fuel pump must be marine grade, certified metal fuel lines; that auto brake lines or auto flexible fuel lines of any kind could not be used. Am I misinformed, or am I correct in my assumptions? Hy

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I did a little more research, and could not find the actual Coast Guard reg, (but I know I've seen it somewhere). Here is a quote from a web page I found to be helpful. http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/fuel.html (I know it isn't official, but they seem to know what they are talking about ;) )

Fuel Hose: When fuel hose is used it must be either USCG Type A1, USCG Type A2, USCG Type B1 or USCG type B2. Where you use it determines what type you use.

From the fuel inlet on the engine (usually the fuel pump) to the carburetor you must use Type A1 or A2....
You do not have to use hose! You can use metallic lines. Some manufacturers do. For example, Mercury Marine inboard engines come with steel fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor.

Metallic fuel Lines: If you use metallic fuel lines, the ones that run from the fuel tank to the fuel inlet on the engine must be one of the following; seamless annealed copper, nickel-copper, or copper-nickel. From the fuel pump to the carburetor they can be any metal you want to use.

tnash542

Cadet

This is a good subject, because i am having the same problem with mine,the
copper connect at the carb is completely round off by the last owner,i really
need to fix this .I like the rubber hose idea ,but is it safe. and the brake line
idea . between both of the ideas which one sounds like the best way to go.

also do how you do drain a gas tank with a check valve on it?
any help is:eek: good help.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Best idea is to start a new thread with your own question / problem. Obviously I personally like standard lengths of metal fuel line that you can pick up at an auto parts store. Buy an inexpensive tubing bender and go at it. But again, go ahead and start a new post.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Fishermark: From what you've written, I seem to have been given incorrect information about marine fuel lines. Thank you for the clarrification. Years ago, when I was in the auto repair business, we used steel lines for fuel lines with a double flange ending to the tube. A rubber fuel line was used from the chassis line to the fuel pump to deal with engine movement. Your information basically supports the same usage on boats. it's nice to know. Thanks again. Hy