Evinrude Triumph 65

alinbend

Cadet
I am trying to determine the year of this motor. Could someone please tell me where the serial number is? sorry for such a basic question.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Triumph 65

Two places:
On one of the stern brackets
On a round disk on the powerhead. Looks like a "freeze" plug, about the size of a quarter.
If both are missing, it probably is a stolen motor. They don't normally both just "fall" off.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

For the first 8 model years they steadily boosted the horsepower of the loop-charged 3 cylinder. They were 55 horse in 68/69, 60 horse in 70/71, 65 horse in 72/73, then 70 horse starting in 1974. They did also add a 75 horse version starting in 1975.

If yours is known to be a 65 horse, the original paint will tell you the year if there is still some on the motor. For 1972 they were that silver-gold colour, while in 1973 only, they were blue (see attachment).

Attachments

• 73EvinrudeTriumph65.jpg
    73EvinrudeTriumph65.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1

alinbend

Cadet

Mine has been repainted an aqua shade of blue so its hard to tell the color. However, I did find the tag on the stern bracket. Painted over but a little mineral spirits and elbow grease revealed: Mod 70473 M, S/N J0005032. I,m guessing it is a 72, but could someone please tell me where I can find the information to decode the numbers. Thanks a lot for the help I've already received and for this.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

70473 is a 70 horsepower (70xxx), 1974 (xx4xx). The 73 part defines any features or changes.

Cross check this number with the one on the powerhead. Parts can be mixed and matched.

alinbend

Cadet

Thanks FR. I have checked all over the engine but can find no other number. The engine cover says 65 Triumph, but as you say the tag on the bracket shows a BIA certification of 70 HP at 5000rpm. Is the power head and the cylinder head the same thing? Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Thanks for your patience.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Look here

Attachments

• Serial number 3 cyl.jpg
    Serial number 3 cyl.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 0

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The cylinder head goes on the powerhead. The powerhead is what you might think of as a "block" in regard to an automotive engine.

If the motor is a 1972, it will be a hydroelectric shift. The tip off to this is that it will have a throttle cable only - no shift cable because that is actuated electrically. If it is a 1972, it should also have a yellow electrical connector in the engine compartment.

alinbend

Cadet

Thanks again. I carefully cleaned the heavy black paint off the area that looks like a freeze plug on the power head. There are no markings of any kind on it. There are some numbers stamped on the casting just to the port side of the bracket that surrounds the "plug" area where the numbers are supposed to be. They appear as follows:

020 Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Background:
I bought the motor along with a 19' 1963 fiberglass on plywood Huerth River Dory and trailer as a project because I liked the lines of the boat. It has a deep vee hull at the raised bow that tapers back to an almost flat hull at the stern except for the keel. Anyway, I only paid $1700 and I got a clear title. The guy I bought it from did not seem like a thief. Who knows about the owners before him though.

It ran, although a little rough, when I bought it. It also leaked, but the wood is basically sound, so it is hull up in my shop getting repaired, stripped and prepared for a system 3 epoxy coating and a slight revamp of the interior. The motor must be dependable as I plan to use the boat on the Colombia as well as other Oregon lakes and rivers. However, it seems a shame to replace it if it is fixable. We have too much junk in this country as it is. In that regard I would like to get the correct owner and repair manuals as well as a tune up kit. Hense, my search for the year.