Removing threaded hinge pins

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer
I'm helping a friend do some work on his Merc 898. I don't have the serial number handy, but it's in a 1979 Mark Twain. We need to remove the bellhousing hinge pins. He has the Mercruiser tool for the job but they seem to be REALLY tight. We were a little afraid of pulling the threads out of the bellhousing, so we gave up until maybe we could learn something. The manual basically says "Remove hinge pins using Mercruiser tool C 91-78310". Anyone have any tips to offer?

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Re: Removing threaded hinge pins

Those are loctited in. Try heat. A propane torch should do the trick. The heat will soften the loctite. Just go easy with the heat.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

May have been assembled with "Red Loctite", you`ll need some heat on the pins .

QC

Supreme Mariner

Heat, heat and then more heat. Take a look here if you want to know what happens when you crank on them too hard with no heat . . . Good luck!!

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. That's the scenario I was worried about. I read that entire thread. Looks like it could be a bear. The goal is replacing the bellows and greasing the gimbal bearing. On my boat the pins are pressed in and came out easily and it seemed to make the bellows job much easier with the bellhousing loose. I suggested to him that we do it this way. I'm now thinking that may not be very good advice. I'll tell him tonight that it could be a real PITA and we may rethink the process.

thanks for the eye opener

Bondo

Staff member

I'll tell him tonight that it could be a real PITA and we may rethink the process.

Ayuh,... You had it Right the 1st time....

If you think Pulling the Pins is a PITA,......

You, And your Bud will be committing Suicide if you Try to change the Bellows with the gimbel housing In-Place......

That's a reasonably Meaty housing,+ the Pins are SSteel.... It'll take most Anything a propane torch can produce....
You're only looking for 400? or so...... And the Glue is on the Inside ends of the Pins....