A generic tool thread, advice needed.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: A generic tool thread, advice needed.

I'm not into hardcore mechanics, just enough to take care of 10 or 12 vehicles.
I use only Craftsman cause the store is only a couple miles from me and easy to get tools replaced when and if they fail.
Like Bob, do not like the new ratchets.

mscher

Lieutenant

Hmmm..... I've had dealers pony up for consumables... such as drill bits, sandpaper, etc... but no one has ever paid for or provided my tools.

Hmmmm.... sure about that one??? As far as I understand it they USED to be... but not anymore. The only way they are a deduction for me is that i'm self employed. But when I worked for somebody my tools were not tax deductable. They used to be in like 02 or 03... but not anymore.

I'm never sure about tax laws, but I have to call them as I see them. ;) One pro may say something is deductable, another will say it is not. I usually just try to wade thorugh the regulations and interpret them best as can, same as everyone else.

For what it worth:

IRs Pub 529

Tools Used in Your Work
Generally, you can deduct amounts you spend for tools used in your work if the tools wear out and are thrown away within 1 year from the date of purchase. You can depreciate the cost of tools that have a useful life substantially beyond the tax year. For more information about depreciation, see Publication 946.

Publication 946

Property Used in Your Business or Income-Producing Activity
To claim depreciation on property, you must use it in your business or income-producing activity. If you use property to produce income (investment use), the income must be taxable. You cannot depreciate property that you use solely for personal activities.

Phantom_II

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Many long years ago, when I was just getting started in aerospace, I used all Craftsman tools. They're not the greatest, but they're adequate.
As they would break, or simply wear out, I'd replace them with Snap-On or Mac tools, then take the unserviceable stuff back to Sears for replacement and put them in my home tool kit.

One thing though. Craftsman screwdrivers are absolute JUNK. Don't even bother with them.

There are also problems with their diagonal cutters, but if you go to the store, and look at several of them, you can usually find a pair that aren't horribly mis-aligned along the cutting edge. Hold them up to a light. If you see light through the jaws, grab another pair.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

For most things the Craftsman works alright. Most of our metric stuff and specialty car stuff is Snap on, and the rest is Craftsman as dad used to work on foreign cars. As far as wrenches and sockets go, the craftsman is the way to go, but my absolute favorite ratchet is a 3/8s drive SnapOn flex head. Also like the feel of certain newer snap on screwdrivers. (they have so far warranteed all the ones we break, as we don't "wear them out." We end up shattering handles, or snapping shafts). But, I can't tell any difference in the socket that is on the end of that great ratchet.

So, unless you get a good deal on a complete set, I would get mostly Craftsmen stuff, but the stuff that you use the most, that has a definite better feel (that ratchet) you may want to splurge on. They are all warranteed, but some really are worth the extra cash.

i386

Captain

As they would break, or simply wear out, I'd replace them with Snap-On or Mac tools, then take the unserviceable stuff back to Sears for replacement and put them in my home tool kit.

That's what I was trying to suggest. You said it a lot better than I did.:)

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Funny. I have a 1/2 - 9/16 closed end wrench that came from my father's toolbox and is one of the "first string" tools that I grab when I get ready to work on something. I love that wrench! I've never looked at the brand name on it until today. So who makes it?

JAPAN:eek::D

Everything else is Craftsman, S&K or Mac.

slia67

Petty Officer 1st Class

At your stage in the game, I believe you made a wise choice. Once you start to make a few dollars and see which tools are prone to failure, you can upgrade. I've never had a problem with Craftsman tools, and I turned wrenches for over ten years. (although as some people mentioned others may give you crap) Even at a dealership, It's much easier to dish some of that crap back each week when they are paying the toolman part of their hard earned paycheck.

Work towards certifications. I'm not sure about aircraft industry, but in the automotive industry it is the ASE Certifications.

It sounds like you are on the right path. Good luck.

mscher

Lieutenant

If you are really interested in the Snap-on or Matco sets, get the Sears and just wait until some of the other students who purchased them, drop out and will sell them to you at a very steep discount. ;)

Got to get creative in this new economy!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Estate auctions can sometimes be a good place to get tools. A friend of mine got a complete rollaround box filled with many name brand tools for $86.00. He estimated that there is over $8,000 worth at todays prices.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

my home tools are a mix of mostly craftsman,mac,snap on and napa(older ones same as craftsman for most) in a shinny snapon workstation box collecting dust. I even have some of my grand fathers old old craftsman tools. At work(city) they supply all tools so they dont have to pay to replace any of ours that walk off.Most shops supply specialty tools and expendables,some give you a tool alotment.
as said before check pawn shops,garage sales craigslist etc. even if its a worn out or broken name brand tool thats lifetime warranty you can get it exchanged.
The problem I have had in the past is tool trucks end up being here today and out of buisness tomorrow. Mac seems to be the worst at turn over. and with fuel prices getting so high it will only get worse.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Work towards certifications. I'm not sure about aircraft industry, but in the automotive industry it is the ASE Certifications.

It sounds like you are on the right path. Good luck.

Thanks. The FAA doesn't work through certifications though. What you do is 1900 clock hours of classroom learning then take a myriad of tests. Once you pass all of them, you then are an A and P mechanic and you are authorized and certified to work on every airplane or helicopter ever made. There are no "levels" of mechanic other than the mechanic whos been at a facility a while might be considered "lead" or "head" mechanic. Other than that, everybody is equal.

You basically get a little bit of everything at that school. Once you have your license and get a job, you are then trained for the ways and techniques of the place that employed you and for the aircraft that you will primarily be working on. They'll usually take time to see where your specialty is and put you there. After all, why pay you 22-25 an hour starting out when you are very uncomfy doing one thing but extremely proficient at another? They want to make the most out of their 22 bucks. To do that they will put you where you are like grease lightening.

dolluper

Captain

Get whatever feels good in your hands as YOUR the one that will be going all the wrenching...basically there all the same if they have lifetime warrenties..But for air tools Snap-on or their sister compant {cheapr} Blue point can't beat the quaility and they take a beating and continue to perform...Look after your tools and they will last ,clean them and keep them well lubed Good luck and happy wrenching

bhammer

Ensign

Welcome to the crowd. I have been down that road and have seen many come after me. I didn't read every thread so if it was said, I am sorry; Try to buy the minimum, as the tools don't make the technician. I bought new craftsman to get me started, a few snap-on speciality tools and the rest, I bought at traders marts and second hand tool shops. Much cheaper that way and working on them is not like working on a car. the get a bigger hammer doesn't apply.

Here is a basic list that I use / take with me when I go do Annuals on sail planes and minor work on personal powered:

Speed handle with removalable ratchet end - Beats a screw driver everytime for panel removal.
Snap on screw driver
SAE 1/4 & 3/8 Sockets - The better ratchets ahve more teeth than the cheaper. The more teeth allow ease while working in tight spots.
SAE wrench set
Flash lights - I have a 3 cell and 2 cell big ones and a couple of the small mini mags
Round inspection mirror
If you need them, and I bet you will - Saftey wire pliers
Cotter key puller - Beats doint it with plyer all day. And, they work great bending the tabs on the boat propeller.
Optional - A battery operated drill - Make sure it has the torque settings so you can use to drive in screws.

I have seen too many folks get into the business and have a difficult time paying off the snap on guy for years and seen folks get terminated and have tool payments.

Are you looking to specialize in any one type? I got luckey and begged my way into a 145 repair station here in Dallas and was on the Bombardier Challenger crew. Had to dump lots of Lavs before they even let me get close to a plane with a screw driver.

PM me. I'd love to give you my .02 worth of thoughts about it. I don't work on them as a full time anymore. I got a business degree and became an Aviation Consultant. That beats the calls from the pilot with a broke aircraft halfway around the world in a country that doesn't / can't support. Or the cold nights with 5606 running down your arms.

bhammer

Ensign

Thanks. The FAA doesn't work through certifications though. What you do is 1900 clock hours of classroom learning then take a myriad of tests. Once you pass all of them, you then are an A and P mechanic and you are authorized and certified to work on every airplane or helicopter ever made. There are no "levels" of mechanic other than the mechanic whos been at a facility a while might be considered "lead" or "head" mechanic. Other than that, everybody is equal.

You basically get a little bit of everything at that school. Once you have your license and get a job, you are then trained for the ways and techniques of the place that employed you and for the aircraft that you will primarily be working on. They'll usually take time to see where your specialty is and put you there. After all, why pay you 22-25 an hour starting out when you are very uncomfy doing one thing but extremely proficient at another? They want to make the most out of their 22 bucks. To do that they will put you where you are like grease lightening.

Very true, but the FAA is trying to change this to a speciality or type rated just like pilots. I think they are talking about a grandfather clause. Are they still teaching fabric in school? Not too many of those around anymore. You can always go for an IA as well in 3 years. I've had mine for 12 or so years....

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

i am a diesel mechanic and use tools everyday .. i will say that most mine are craftsman only for the exchange warranty fact. i can just go to the local sears and change them out with no problems . if you buy tools from a tool truck you have to track them down to exchange them , at that time you will get a huge song and dance about how you used them wrong and they are doing you a favor exchanging them for you ..although some of my craftsman tools have been lower quality knuckle busters like there ratchets compared to snap on . i just find it much easier and cheaper to go the craftsman route. might wanna get a good set of ratchets off the snap on guy if you can get them for a good deal but for sockets and other tools i would stay with craftsman