Hydraulic steering troubles

sffilm1

Cadet
Hi, I have a '72 larson 186 with an '86 150hp Johnson with a hydraulic steering system. The system doesn't have a brand name or anything on it and looks like maybe it came with the motor. Anyway, the tilt and steering appear to be one system, both of which are locked up. I'm trying to avoid taking it in if its a sort of drain and refill issue, but I just got the boat and have never dealt with hydraulic steering before, so I have no clue about it. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Hydraulic steering troubles

look on the engine cowl and see if it says "SeaDrive"...those motors had the system you seem to be describing...if you can find a model number for the motor that would help :cool:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

pictures would help. you can up load to a free service like photobucket.com then you choose the pictures you want( clik the little box at the bottom left of the picture) scrool to the bottom of the page, clik generate html, it will take you to the next page, scroll down to thumb nails clik on that and copy, then insert it into your post.

also if you are planing on posting pictures, you can use the Blue post reply or the go advanced, manage attachments, there you can upload , directly from your computer. besure you pictures have been resized to fit the format.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

if that is your boat, then you have a cable steering system, not hydraulic. You will have to remove the nuut on the staerboard side, remove the linkarm and force the cable out of the tilt tube.

tashasdaddy

you either have a rack cable system of a rotary system. 99 % chance you are going to have to unbolt and lift the motor to get the old cable out, and the new on in. these are the 2 type helms, tell us which you have.

Rotary.

rack system

sffilm1

Cadet

so any idea why it is locked up? the tilt is locked up too....I have no clue what's going on.

tashasdaddy

old age, and lack of maintenance, on the steering. the tilt does not look like salt water corrosion, what happens when you work the switch? clik, can you hear motor running? can you lift outboard while tilt motor is running?

sffilm1

Cadet

I'm sorry, your link for your suggested replacement isn't showing up. Pretty expensive?

sffilm1

Cadet

I can here the tilt motor running, and it worked one time, but now will not. I can lift the motor whether I'm pressing the button or not

tashasdaddy

i move this thread to the Boat topics, because the main part was the steering.

i think you will get better results, post a new thread on the tilt, in the Johnson Forum. there are not many of use up on T & T. i know some about the older ones, but not the newer.