Is it worth it? Hydrofoil stabilizer

kehops

Cadet
I just picked up a 16ft w/ Johnson 70hp that has no hydrofoil stabilizer. I don't have too much boating experience and was wondering if adding a hydrofoil makes a noticeable difference? It looks like one was there at some point however it was removed for unknown reasons.

Also, my lower skeg has some damage and I was looking into the replacement aluminum "bolt-on" skeggards which wrap over the existing one. What is the general opinion on this product? Is it better to replace the whole skeg? (no idea how to do that) or would this work just fine?

Thanks everyone
JF

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is it worth it? Hydrofoil stabilizer

to replace the complete skeg, requires rebuilding the complete lower unit. go with the skeg guard. if you are having problems getting of plane, smart tabs are the way to go, hydro foils usually cause more problems, than they correct.

kehops

Cadet

to replace the complete skeg, requires rebuilding the complete lower unit. go with the skeg guard. if you are having problems getting of plane, smart tabs are the way to go, hydro foils usually cause more problems, than they correct.

I don't have tilt/trim installed on the boat. Not sure what smart tabs are, is it similar to trim tabs?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

these are what i recommend. you will have to figure out the ladder with the placements of the tabs. they put the lift in the correct place on the boat, at the bottom of the transom. foils put all the lift, pressure, weight on the motor, and the top of the transom, where the motor mount to the transom. wrong placement, stress on the motor and transom. a picture of the stern of your boat would help.

Nandy

Commander

Hydrofoils sometimes work, sometimes dont. It did work form me on my 10 hp and it has work for other people. Smart tabs I have not use but I have never heard anyone complain about them but they are obviously more costly than a hydrofoil. If you already have the holes on it try to find a hydrofoil that the holes match and try it. Make sure you get yours from a place that will let you return it. If you did not have the holes I would tell you go with the smart tabs as they seem to be the sure thing.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Do search and you can read for days on the subject.

Do you have a problem you want to fix, or do want to bolt on something that will just make everything better? If you have a problem to fix then one of the two might help, if there's no problem, then don't get either one. If you must buy something, get tabs, as they don't normally have a down side even if you don't need them.

rak98221

Cadet

I recently installed a Stingray Hydrofoil on my '89 Bayliner 1952 cuddy, it has the 5.0L Cobra. What a difference, I have read alot of negative stuff about hydrofoils, but on this boat and my last, a '72 Glastron Aqualift AQ170A V/P 270 outdrive it worked as advertised. The boat hops up really quick and keeps the bow down at low speeds, all porpoising was eliminated and trimming it out is more effective on the Bayliner, it pulls the bow up I don't know about top speed as I haven't tried that by myself yet with it on, by myself before without the hydrofoil running a 3 blade 14 1/4X21 I would top out at 50MPH/4100RPM. I never had any problem on my Glastron on the cavitation plate as far as the hydrofoil damaging it. Thanks.